Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I getting ready to begin one of my last minor prop builds for the season, but before I start I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me.
What I am looking to do is suspend candles from a tree in way that makes them look like they are floating in the air. I am most likely going to be using fishing line to pull this off, but my only concern is having the line show up under the flicker of the led candle. I am sure other people on the forum have tried to pull off the same effect and have had some of the same concerns as me. Anyone have any tips on how to achieve what I am looking to do?

Thanks for any thoughts:):)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don't use monofilament fishing line, it reflects light. Get a braided fishing line like Berkley Fireline or Spiderwire in a dark green or smoke grey color. And if you want it to be absolutely black just run a magic marker over it.

And really, to save money, I'd just do black thread. The only reason for fishing line would be if weight was a concern.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We bought a bunch of the thin candles from the Dollar store and hung them with fishing line (monofilament). It worked very well and there was no light shining on the line, but this was inside and we didn't have any lights shining directly on the candles or line. If we had used black line, it would have stuck out like a sore thumb against the light-colored ceiling. Outside in a tree, I would think black would be better, as I think monofilament would catch a lot of the outside lights (cars, etc.), but then, that's what I thought about using it inside, too. Well, not cars, but I thought it would pick up the various colored lighting, but it didn't.

My suggestion would to hang a couple of both in the tree and see how it looks.

candles from ceiling.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
Forgive me for (perhaps) not seeing the obvious, but how do you attach the thread/line to the candle? Is it as simple as a dab of hot glue or super glue on the top of the 'flame'?

I was thinking of making some of these using tea lights stuck into the top of carboard paper towel cores painted white, but dollar store candles might just be easier...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used a Dremel to drill a tiny hole through the very tip of the flame-shaped part of the candle. I used a fisherman's knot to tie the monofilament to the tip and cut off the excess. Then I tied a small loop in the other end and used that with the thumbtack. We measured and pre-cut the fishing line, so we they were all about the same height when finished.

(Just in case someone is only reading this post of mine…) We painted the thumbtacks the same color as the ceiling, which made them nearly invisible, which really added to the effect, especially since our ceilings aren't white.

We were going to make them using the cardboard tubes and tea lights, but there were several issues with that:
1. We would need a great number of these tubes in order to make all the candles we wanted;
2. We were concerned the fat tubes would prevent the "candle flame" from being seen, except from a distance;
3. Turning the candles on and off wold be difficult without extra engineering.

When we saw the Dollar store candles, it was fairly expensive, as they're $1 each, but it saved a lot of time. Also, two AAA batteries each adds up to be a lot of batteries! I think the store that had the candles is Dollar Tree.

However, the effect was stunning. First year, we put them in the bathroom with a "Stars at Night" type of scene setter on the ceiling, and it was really cool. Second year, we put them in the main walkway of the house and got a lot of OOOOOs and AAAAAHs from them.

Here's a photo of them in the bathroom, but it was an incredibly difficult picture to get, due to the small room and tight confines. So, sorry for the poor quality of the image.

bathroom candles.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgive me for (perhaps) not seeing the obvious, but how do you attach the thread/line to the candle? Is it as simple as a dab of hot glue or super glue on the top of the 'flame'?

I was thinking of making some of these using tea lights stuck into the top of carboard paper towel cores painted white, but dollar store candles might just be easier...

If you are using the wax type of flicker candles you can just heat up the side of the candle and then just push the line into the candle. Then for a little added grip just drip some more wax over the attachment location.
I have been experimenting with that route and so far as long you are careful, it seems to hold up fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts