Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past several years I have used a floating battery powered pillar candle effect in my outdoor cemetery display. The setup is similar to the common floating lantern using a disco ball motor and a mobile system that creates an eerie effect. I actually get more positive feedback from it than other, more elaborate, video effects. This year I would like to expand the effect and have candle travel across the yard. Has anyone tried this? I'm considering using an axworthy ghost setup but concerned about the weight of the candle. Any suggestions?

image.jpg

Reactions: halloween71

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I use floating candles in my set-up (about 15) and have to do so without any sort of overhead support structure (all open sky, no trees). Because they're all supported from a network of fishing line and thread, I have to be VERY weight conscious with them.

Here's what I make:
For the light part, I just use the typical little "hockey puck" LED tealights, like any dollar store carries.
I've cut up florescent tube covers into lengths to form the candle body
(here's the item: Tube Protector)
then drip some hot glue to look like melted candle wax (I only do a little, for weight).
While I'm adding the glue for looks, I'll lay in some black thread (glue down at least a couple of inches, but leave plenty of thread outside of the glue - this is what you'll be hanging this thing from).
Remember, you're gluing the black thread at the TOP of the candle, so when it hangs, the attachment point is at the top edge. This is important, as these end up so light that if the attachment point is lower, they tip over pretty easily.
I'll glue a plastic drink bottle lid inside the candle body about an inch down from the top - this is what holds the tealight in place.
Mask off the black thread, paint the rest of the candle a white-ish color.
Drop in the tealight and see if it looks decent.

There is very little weight to these items, but they look heavy from even a couple feet away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent idea! Are you using a motor for movement or a static suspension effect?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Just static - but I have 15 candles hanging off of 50-60 foot spans of line - it takes ounces to cause the line to droop, so I've had to really cut weight.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here is a diagram of the candle I make floating across the yard..
Black fishing line (regular line shines too much light)
An eye hook for the line to go thru
A cheap fishing reel( the button closed in type)
homemade candle (pvc pipe and hot glue and tea light)
I tell kids as they approach I need more light to read and would they like to help me?..give them a wand (harry potter light up wand of course)..and tell them to say wingardium leviosa..I click the button on the fishing reel and the candle magically floats across the yard..then when they leave I reel it back up for the next tot. Everyone loves it..simple to do. floating candle trick.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts