Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I want to create something similar to these floating candles. Has anyone ever combined LED candles with an FCG mechanism or many of them?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Nice idea! I've never seen anything that ambitious but as long as the line guides are positioned correctly, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Hiding the lines shouldn't be an issue, but keeping the candles vertical may be tedious. The lines could be attached to the "flame" tips with a bit of adhesive. You could even stack 2 or 3 fender washers on the pivot bolt to increase the number of candles and help prevent tangles.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that if I twist fishing line up and down LED candlesticks and adhere it by using hot glue running down the side like melted wax, it would keep the candles in a better position while adding a little extra flair to the candle.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Actually this is one of my projects this year but I haven't gone very far with it yet. Check ouy youtube cuz theres's several on there.

YouTube - Floating Candelabra Prop

YouTube - Floating Candelabra Prop Behind Scenes

YouTube - Floating Candelabra Prop (Night)

There's another great site just about how another guy did his but I can't find it at this very moment... I'll post it as soon as I do.

Mines likely going to be a simpler hanging candelabra suspended from a mobile sort of setup and gently swaying using a fan instead of a full fcg setup. Also check out the "Endless hallway" scene in disney's Haunted Mansion attraction. It's the original floating candelabra effect! Scroll half-way down the page:

DoomBuggies > Explore the history and marvel at the mystery of Disney's Haunted Mansion attractions!

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I don't know much about a fcg version, but
Another way to do this (I haven't actually tried it just thinking out loud)
would be to attach a black rod to the candelabra base and then affixing it to a record player or other slow rotating motor. Having the candelabra attached at the bottom instead of the top, creates a MORE convincing levitation illusion. Onlookers, ALWAYS suspect floating objects are attached by string. So this solves that problem!

Another option is to attach fishing line or invisible thread on the left and right side of the candelabra. Again solving the problem of "that's just a string tied to the top" By pulling the thread in opposite directions the candle should float both up and down and side to side very gently(ghostly)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Float Candles

Ok if I understand what you want to do is float candles like in the Harry Potter movies. So how about this? Attach odd shaped disc to a long rod spaced however you have room for or need. Take that rod and connect it to a slow rotating motor.

Next run some fishing line across the space where you want the candles to float. Place the rod under the fishing line so that the disc will move the line up and down.

Using the same fishing line to tie the candles to the overhead line so they hang underneath and appear to float.

PMT

·
Registered
275 Posts
After reading through this thread, I decided I would give it a try. Here are pics of my candles. There are 16 and eight of them will be attached to a crank. Probably use a wiper motor but could get away with something less powerful. I plan to balance the crank with offsetting the big ones with the big ones and the little with the little. So there will be 8 moving candles and 8 static hanging in a cluster. I am using some fairly strong magnet wire on both sides of each candle. I haven't painted the wires black yet. Flicker tea lights and we are ready to go. Will post when I've finished. Going for that Harry Potter look.

·
Registered
622 Posts
indianaholmes, how's the project going?

Those are awsome looking candles! Can't wait to hear an update or maybe... video???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts