Halloween Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I haven't bought the light housing yet but I did buy the tubes for it today. This is the exact tubes I have seen used to house the LED lights. Its actually made for the lights as a safety to prevent the bulbs from shattering and raining down on you. The end caps come off. Just have to frost the glass. Now …….How to make it work it work.....So, I order the LED light strip and a controller...I need to hook the lights to a plug and play power supply, FS-2 starter and I should be able to bypass the actual fluorescent light housing entirely?

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
"J-Man is correct - this would need to be a "prop" in every sense of the word. You would need to create a fake florescent bulb by putting an LED strip light into some kind of tube that diffuses the light and makes it look like a florescent tube. I have heard that using the Pex water tubing from HD can do this although I have not tried it myself. Then you would need to connect the led strip up to a controller of some kind. There are numerous Arduino-compatible boards that can control the LED strips and there are tons of examples available on the web. For a 1m length of LED lights you would probably need a 5V power supply that could drive 3 or 4 amps to drive both the board and the LEDs. This board from adafruit is a good choice -its small, runs on 5V and is Arduino compatible and costs about $13. They also sell the LED strips."

JW....Adafruit is an amazing website!

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Single Channel

Double click on above image to view full picture
Zoom Out

Zoom In

• Dual Channel
Flicker 2.0 Multi-Effect Light Controller

I think I'm going to get this one........

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
J-Man is correct - this would need to be a "prop" in every sense of the word. You would need to create a fake florescent bulb by putting an LED strip light into some kind of tube that diffuses the light and makes it look like a florescent tube. I have heard that using the Pex water tubing from HD can do this although I have not tried it myself. Then you would need to connect the led strip up to a controller of some kind. There are numerous Arduino-compatible boards that can control the LED strips and there are tons of examples available on the web. For a 1m length of LED lights you would probably need a 5V power supply that could drive 3 or 4 amps to drive both the board and the LEDs. This board from adafruit is a good choice -its small, runs on 5V and is Arduino compatible and costs about $13. They also sell the LED strips.
Thanks everyone for your help...….

It seems there are two approaches to doing this. One is to replace the light bulbs of a fluorescent light with LED lights and add a new power supply, either via a Prop controller like a PICO One or with a raw microprocessor. These two variations have their unique problems. I have very little electronic experience.

The second method is hacking the fluorescent light kit by removing the starter and or ballast and replacing the light bulbs with LED replacement shop bulbs. This one is pretty straight forward: If you have the correct LED bulbs and you know how to remove the ballast, you can make the new LED lights flicker with an FS-2 or FS-4 starter like any other flicker light. I like this method but I can see one major drawback and that is controlling the flicker. I don’t think the flicker will work quite well as seen but Fright Props flickering light. For that reason, I’m not going this route.

I’m not going to use a raw microprocessor because I’m not familiar with the electronics, i. e. Basically building a controller that is plug and play and will integrate properly has too many variables and pit falls for the simple minded, like myself.

My approach is going to use two PICO one controllers with the Lithonia Lighting 48 in. 68 watt Fluorescent Shop Light kit. Parts List:

• Light shop kit
  • $13.99

• Shop light wire mesh kit
  • Lamp wire guard
  • $14.50

• PICO one controllers
  • $100.00
(2) Light tubes

$10.00

(2) LED light strips

(1) Power supply

$25.00

Additional power supply cord extensions

NOW, what I need to figure out is the LED light strips that are compatible with a 5v power supply and PICO one controller….. Any ideas?

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was really impressed with the Adafruit website. It has LED lights, microprocessors, boards and a lot of incredible stuff. They have a tutorials and demos of stuff but the demos seemed to feature the demonstrators more than the products itself. It was all in Greek to me. If you are going to build something that is integrated with light buttons, video monitors, iPad, like a zombie containment prop, these are the guys to get your stuff from.

If you're like me, you don't speak Greek and you've been eating lead paint chips your whole life, try LED Supply. I was able to figure (well maybe)out what I needed after viewing their product videos. I've ordered all of the parts and now I have to wait for them to trickle in.

I found a cable splitter that will allow me to use a single PICO boo one controller to control both of the light tubes at the same time instead of two controllers. I'm going to try this method first before adding a second controller.

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There are some replacement LED tubes that do not require removal of the ballasts.
Yes after some discussion I decided I wanted a little more control of the flicker than using a FS-2 starter and I was unsure how the LED replacement shop lights would look like. After I try using a controller I would like to make one of these to see the difference in the two methods.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts