Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note: This is a repost of an old tutorial whose links to pictures were broken with the software update at HF.

These are flickering fake pumpkins that are on a timer. To see them live, here's a video:

They are brightly lit and have a very slight flicker to them. If you want them to flicker a lot, don't replace one of the flicker bulbs with the C7 bulb. You can do any combination of pumpkins by the way. This a picture of a set of three. This tutorial shows how to make a double set.

Materials Needed (for one double set):
2 Michael's fake pumpkins
1 Flickering light set
2 White C7 bulbs
2 Ground stakes (mine was pilfered from a store-bought prop I had)
Glue sticks
Gorilla Glue (not pictured)
Outdoor timer (not pictured)

Tools needed:
Drill (optional)
1 1/2" hole spade bit (optional)
5/8" hole spade bit (optional)
Wood burner tool with Exacto knife attachment (or a pumpkin saw)
Glue gun
Beer or wine (this wouldn't be as fun without it)

Pumpkin Faces: Trace out your design on the pumpkin while the wood burner with Exacto knife blade is heating up. Then, plunge the knife into the pumpkin and slowly drag it through. It's a bit slow going but does a great job cutting.

Alternatively, you could cut the pumpkin out using traditional tools.

Cut and Insert Lights: Using the 1 1/2" hole spade bit, cut two holes near each other in the back of the pumpkins (you could also just cut out the holes). You will be putting half of the flickering sockets into one pumpkin and half into the other. But first change out one of the flickering lights with the white C7 bulb in each pumpkin. This one white bulb makes the inside of the pumpkin much brighter than just using all the flickering lights (too orange and dim).

Be sure to have the plug sticking out of one pumpkin and the socket sticking out of the other (obviously).

If you were making a single pumpkin, just put a whole string in with one of the flickering lights changed out to a C7 white bulb, but again, have the plug and the socket sticking out. For a set of three pumpkins, divide the light string up into thirds.

Trace Bottom Opening (Picture 1): On the bottom of the pumpkin, draw a large circle and mark a line through both sides so when you replace the lid, you know where it should go back. Take the ground stake you are using and mark the size of the hole you will need.

Cut Stake Opening (Picture 2): Using your 5/8 drill bit (or regular pumpkin cutter) cut out the hole for the stake.

Cut Bottom Opening (Picture 3): Use your heated wood burner (with the Exacto blade) to cut out the bottom of the pumpkin where you marked it. Also, cut out some notches so rainwater can drain.

Hot Glue Stake (Picture 4): Hot glue the stake to the bottom of the pumpkin. Go really thick and do both sides. I did a couple of coats to be extra sure it was going to handle being set into the ground.

Hot Glue Bottom Opening (Picture 1): Line up that line you marked, put a bead of hot glue around the edge and quickly set the bottom of the pumpkin back in place.

More Hot Glue (Picture 2): Put a heavy coat of hot glue all around the seal (avoiding the notches) to keep the bottom in place.

(Not Pictured): Using Gorilla glue, glue your two pumpkins together. For the three, I stacked one on top of the two (the top one didn't need a ground stake). I tried using hot glue but it didn't hold. If you don't have Gorilla glue, just use a very strong glue.

Install: The ground stake may be secure in the pumpkin, but I don't know how hard your ground is. So, pre-make a hole in the ground where the stakes would go so you don't have to literally drive the pumpkin into the ground. My ground stakes are really just to help keep the pumpkin in place in the ground.....

Now, plug into the outdoor timer. You can daisy chain sets of pumpkins together too.

The pumpkins really add some life and spirit to the graveyard, I think. Thanks for looking at my tutorial.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,791 Posts
Hey, this looks like a NEW tutorial! :D

Love this, great all-around use because who doesn't love pumpkins!

Thank you Terra - you are so, so awesome and all your hard work (especially now) is just so deeply appreciated.

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, this looks like a NEW tutorial! :D

Love this, great all-around use because who doesn't love pumpkins!

Thank you Terra - you are so, so awesome and all your hard work (especially now) is just so deeply appreciated.
No problem about the work with reposting these. It's been fun digging back into the stone-age to drag these back out. I LOVED these pumpkins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts