Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all.

I'm running the lighting for my college's haunted house, but I'm having a problem with the flickering effect for my lights.

I'm trying to build a FS-2 flicker circuit, as described in several locations (I'd add links, but I can't until I've posted a few times). I've wired it all up, but the lightbulb isn't flickering (or even turning on).

I wired it into an extension cord, which works when the FS-2 isn't attached. I have a 40W blue bulb plugged in, which works when it's not hooked up to the extension cord. I have also tried two separate FS-2s, in case one of them was bad.

I'm out of ideas, so... is there something else I should try? Something I've overlooked?

Thanks,
TenthDoctor

·
Registered
471 Posts
I messed with these a few years back - seems I had one that didn't work . I tapped on mine a few times and it started working. ( picture in your mind the old time aviator tapping on the empty fuel gauge) Not sure if it was the tap or maybe it took a few moments to warm up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I messed with these a few years back - seems I had one that didn't work . I tapped on mine a few times and it started working. ( picture in your mind the old time aviator tapping on the empty fuel gauge) Not sure if it was the tap or maybe it took a few moments to warm up.
Hmm... Well, I've plugged it in again, and tapped on it a few times, but it hasn't started flickering yet. I'll let it stay plugged in for a little bit, and see if it starts flickering.

EDIT: Left it plugged in for about 15 minutes, and it still isn't flickering. Percussive maintenance didn't do anything, either. Any other suggestions?

TenthDoctor

·
Sleep with one eye open
587 Posts
Percussive maintenance didn't do anything, either. Any other suggestions?TenthDoctor
"Percussive maintenance" funny :)

Polarity doesn't make a difference . Have you tried a second starter ? A lower wattage bulb ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did try a second starter, but it didn't make a difference. I have a 25 watt bulb that I can try; perhaps that might work.

Calloween, the only store near me that sells fluorescent starters is Ace, and they don't carry FS-5s. If I'd thought ahead a little more, I could have ordered them online, but this was all a little sudden (plus, I'm used to theatrical lighting where a flickering effect takes literally two minutes to program; I hadn't realized that it was this difficult. Whole new level of respect for you guys! [And it was pretty high already]).

TenthDoctor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked-- the 25 watt bulb didn't make a difference. Perhaps I just bought a pair of bad starters...

TenthDoctor

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
color would not make any difference and if you are using FS-2 it should be working and the only thing I can add is something you probably already did a...check to make sure the wire around both post at connected tightly.

I used the FS-2 in my flicker light units in the below video

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...check to make sure the wire around both post at connected tightly.
Yep, they both seem to be connected fairly well. I've brought everything with me to my dorm, so I'll keep fiddling with it in my spare time. Hopefully I'll be able to get it working by Wednesday!

TenthDoctor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that an FS-2 is usually sized for about 15 watts. FS-4 Would be for the 30-40 watt range. Try a 15 watt bulb - I've had no trouble with that combo.
If that doesn't fire, the starter is probably shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sadly, the lowest-wattage bulb I have is 25 watts. I'll try to rebuild everything tomorrow-- check the connections, check the fixture, make sure I didn't mess up somewhere. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try going to a different Ace and seeing if they have the FS-5.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just do without the flickering lights. It'd be a nice touch, but it's not worth spending hours troubleshooting.

Thanks,
TenthDoctor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts