Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm considering doing the mod to a standard light outlet to add in a Florescent light starter to make a flicker light but I have concern over if this is safe. Not on the connections themselves because I'm handy enough to wire it right to prevent short but mainly on the actual starter being overloaded or not by the current.

thoughts or experience?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've run several of those over the past couple of years and have had no issues. I wrapped them in electrical tape because it sparks inside, and to keep the connections from being touched, but otherwise, I've had no issues.

Ok so I'm considering doing the mod to a standard light outlet to add in a Florescent light starter to make a flicker light but I have concern over if this is safe. Not on the connections themselves because I'm handy enough to wire it right to prevent short but mainly on the actual starter being overloaded or not by the current.

thoughts or experience?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Somewhere you can get a "pigtail" with the socket attached and ready to wire in line with whatever your doing. I did this several years ago but dont remember where I got the pigtails, It was online somewhere. As far as overloading it my experience with them was they will only flicker up to a certain load, when you exceed this load they stop flickering. So I had a string of 200 lights and apparently this was too much of a load and they would not flicker. When I tried it with a 50 count light string it worked fine. As far as an actual wattage or amperage rating I really dont know. I'm sure it would not be much. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
One note on harboe69's suggestion on the ready made short circuit lights - I bought two on sale after Halloween last year. When I tried them this year, both go on for a few seconds, then flicker for several seconds, then go off for a few seconds. This then repeats. They are pretty dim. I'd prefer to have a continual flicker. I've used the fluorescent starter circuit on a couple lights for several years and they're still going strong (I keep the lamp wattage to about 25W.... maybe a bit higher). I put the starter circuits into a metal electrical box. For extra safety, use a three wire (grounded) plug/cord and attach the green wire to the box to ground it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm trying to do this with some 100w equivalent LEDs in different colors. Actual wattage should be about 11w each but its to do a similar thing to a haunter idea in the props section for putting crate paper/shower curtains in the windows and shining the colored lights off them. In this case I was going to do greens and such and make them flicker behind boarded up windows.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not sure that the fluorescent starters will work with LEDs... Has anyone had luck with LEDs? I'll try it, but can't for a while since I'm out of town right now.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I'm not sure that the fluorescent starters will work with LEDs... Has anyone had luck with LEDs? I'll try it, but can't for a while since I'm out of town right now.
Kinda depends on the LED I would think. Some are instant on and some aren't. I don't think it would work well with the later.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda depends on the LED I would think. Some are instant on and some aren't. I don't think it would work well with the later.
I usually buy mine from Walmart. I haven't noticed any delay in them lighting up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Instant start LEDs will work, but not well. There is a substantial 6-7 seconds with no flicker, than a brief and quick flickering of about half a second, then another 6-7 second delay of no flicker, repeating almost perfectly in time. Incandescent bulbs work much better and truly flicker randomly and nicely.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instant start LEDs will work, but not well. There is a substantial 6-7 seconds with no flicker, than a brief and quick flickering of about half a second, then another 6-7 second delay of no flicker, repeating almost perfectly in time. Incandescent bulbs work much better and truly flicker randomly and nicely.
I seen a similar effect from an electrician friend who tried to show me an LED using a dimmer switch sitting at the edge of what it would take. It was more like a Buoy light than creepy flickering.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There was a post for a flicker light circuit without a starter but using a flicker bulb and a dusk-to-dawn plug sold at Ace hardware. Basically the flicker bulb was placed close to the photo cell and it caused the plug outlet to flicker. Maybe someone can find the post.

·
Registered
530 Posts
LED bulbs have electronics in them to drive the LEDs. Same with CFLs. *IF* the LED bulb is marked that it's "Dimmable," it might work, but I haven't tried. I simply use incandescent or halogen bulbs with flicker circuits.

Well I'm trying to do this with some 100w equivalent LEDs in different colors. Actual wattage should be about 11w each but its to do a similar thing to a haunter idea in the props section for putting crate paper/shower curtains in the windows and shining the colored lights off them. In this case I was going to do greens and such and make them flicker behind boarded up windows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts