Halloween Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By using an extension cord as the basis of this project it not only allows you to plug any light into it, but more importantly the extension cord give you the ability to plug two lamps (bulbs) into the cord. I use two 25 watt bulbs (red or red and yellow?) and a 5A fuse.
Total construction time for this project was 15-30 minutes.
Tools:
I used a pair of side cutters (wire cutters), a knife and electricians tape.
Picture1.png
In addition I used a soldering iron and solder.
One could use wire nuts on the wire, but they will not attach the wires to the fluorescent starter.
Picture2.png
Picture3.jpg
Parts:
I bought a cheap extension cord (97 cents at home depot), a fuse holder from Radio Shack (Part #270-1281), and a fluorescent starter (FS-5). Important: Do not use FS-4. Haunters report the FS-2 and FS-5 work, but the FS-4 DO NOT WORK.
Total Cost about $5
Picture4.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Step #1:
Using the knife, carefully cut the extension cord to separate the two wires. Be VERY careful NOT to knick or cut into the plastic coating exposing the copper wire. Once the cut is started you can separate the wire by hand.
Picture6.png
Carefully pull the wires apart for about 3-5 inches.
Picture7.png
Step #2:
Cut one of the wires.
Picture8.png
Step #3:
Strip the plastic off the wire. You will need more wire exposed on the side you will connect to the started.
Picture9.png
Step #4:
Connect one end of the fuse holder to the wire.
Picture10.png
Step #5:
Solder the connection.
Picture11.png
Step #6:
Connect the starter to the other end of the fuse holder and the remaining exposed wire on the extension cord.

Picture12.png
Step #7:
Solder wires to starter.
Picture13.png
Step #8:
Tape all connections well.
Insert a 5 amp fuse in the fuse holder.
Picture14.png
Step #9:
You are now finished. All you have to do is test the flicker circuit. You can plug the extension cord you have been working on into the wall and after placing the bulbs you want into any light socket and the light socket into the extension cord you should be up and running.
I use the flood light sockets (but not the flood light bulbs as they are usually 100 watt and I think that's too much current for the flicker circuit).
Disclaimer: I present this as an example of what I have done. I make no warranty as the the safety or appropriate use of this project. You follow my directions completely at your own risk.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts