Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using flexbond instead of glue for mache? I’ve sculpted multiple props with celluclay/paperclay for years but realized this year I didn’t have a jack o lant felt comfortable leaving outside for the month.

It appears some people are using flexbond instead of glue for mache with either shop towels or newspaper with an extra coat or so on top with the flexbond. Anyone tried this?

My plan would be taking an upside down, large, heavy duty, squatty plastic bucket a tree came in covered with chicken wire for the shape and small scrap foam pieces between the bucket exterior walls/chicken wire to bulk it up. This would recycle some foam scraps plus it wouldn’t absorb moisture like newspaper but could provide a supportive, solid base to attach the flexbond/newspaper to. I would cover this in several coats of exterior latex. My concern is weight and thin mortar cracking.
Initially I had considered using great stuff over the wire frame using Stiltbeast’s approach with wet cloth pulled up over it to shape it but 1) if the wire showed through that would look bad and 2) my 8 foot Pumpkin Sentinel has great stuff on it and every year, chunks get knocked off. It’s simple to touch that up, dents on a jack o lantern won’t touch up as seamlessly.

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
480 Posts
For me, the most precious resource is my time. Unless I HAD to have a pumpkin shape/size that you can't get from Michael's or Funkins I can't see spending $ on all the products/paints required and then spending the time to do all of this. I have several Funkins that I have modifed for multiple props, painted, carved, drilled, zip-tied, added lights and never once had to worry about weather or UV degradation or chunks falling off.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have everything on hand already from other builds except for the Flexbond. My relationship with Funkins can best be described as love/hate. They are great for the effect you get but when one falls or blows over even at a short distance and cracks the day after you finish it or you shade just a tiny bit too deep and wow, look at that hole, it’s infuriating. I’ve done lab, on several specimens. I want something to sit on my exposed front porch for the month of October and then flip it around backwards to hide the face and leave out the month of November. A Funkin would blow away or crash down the steps when it’s windy plus they aren’t the right shape.

The pumpkins that are big enough at Hobby Lobby are astronomically expensive. The last time I checked, the big ones were around $175. Time is precious for sure but I can’t justify that. Even if they have any left when half price time rolls around, they are still too much. I’m a creative and actually enjoying building.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’m not familiar with Flexbond but I just used Flex Seal spray (following Allen Hopps advice) to create waterproof rubbery coating on a paper/modge podge mask. I used white color as its paintable. Note that if you use the clear spray, I read that it could yellow over time in the sun.

This is for a Christmas prop that will be outside for about 5 weeks so I won’t know about efficacy for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried using flexbond instead of glue for mache? I’ve sculpted multiple props with celluclay/paperclay for years but realized this year I didn’t have a jack o lant felt comfortable leaving outside for the month.

It appears some people are using flexbond instead of glue for mache with either shop towels or newspaper with an extra coat or so on top with the flexbond. Anyone tried this?

My plan would be taking an upside down, large, heavy duty, squatty plastic bucket a tree came in covered with chicken wire for the shape and small scrap foam pieces between the bucket exterior walls/chicken wire to bulk it up. This would recycle some foam scraps plus it wouldn’t absorb moisture like newspaper but could provide a supportive, solid base to attach the flexbond/newspaper to. I would cover this in several coats of exterior latex. My concern is weight and thin mortar cracking.
Initially I had considered using great stuff over the wire frame using Stiltbeast’s approach with wet cloth pulled up over it to shape it but 1) if the wire showed through that would look bad and 2) my 8 foot Pumpkin Sentinel has great stuff on it and every year, chunks get knocked off. It’s simple to touch that up, dents on a jack o lantern won’t touch up as seamlessly.

Thanks as always!
I made a few wailing trees last year and it was suggested to use Flexbond. After the sculpture was dry, I applied and then painted over that and have not had a bit of problem with wetness causing damage and used them last year and this year. On the inside, I added some foam.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Textile Wood

·
Registered
11 Posts
For me, the most precious resource is my time. Unless I HAD to have a pumpkin shape/size that you can't get from Michael's or Funkins I can't see spending $ on all the products/paints required and then spending the time to do all of this. I have several Funkins that I have modifed for multiple props, painted, carved, drilled, zip-tied, added lights and never once had to worry about weather or UV degradation or chunks falling off.
I have funkins I use in Florida where it is obviously sunny and hot. Not only did they fade but, they warped a little bit too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts