Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I needed to waterproof my latest projects, and decided to give this stuff a go.

Presently, it's available just about everywhere, including your local walgreens.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/flex-seal-liquid-sealant/ID=prod6230820-product?ext=gooAs_Seen_on_TV_PLA_Tools_Fasteners_ampersand_Repair_Kits_prod6230820_pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6199488&sst=4153c80f-2401-4ca1-910a-69e4c9f0a5da&kpid=sku6199488

My biggest concern was how glossy the stuff was going to be, but I figured since my project is a couple pumpkins, it wasn't going to matter if it got a little glossy.

Before flex seal:

AFTER:

For this particular project, I think it's fine in that way, but it's not going to be for every project out there.

Spraying it is not what I expected. It comes out in a fairly tight stream, more tight than I expected. And, little stringy fibers tend to hang in the air and coat any little protrubance. I have not tested enough to see if this could actually be utilized to make some ad hoc spider webbing, but it reminded me of my web spinner (the drill attachment rubber cement type). As these fibers hang in the air, they tend to get everywhere in a breeze, and I imagine they might not be the best thing for your clothing, so dress appropriately.

That said, even with the tight stream, the can gives pretty good coverage. I was able to coat Father completely (above), and Mother's head with a single can.

Water proofing: Father's head is made of clay and plaster wrap. We had a month's worth of rain in 3 days, soaking everything and flooding both my work and my house. Father's head remained bone dry.

How long will the coating last?
Will sun discolor it over time?
Does UV break it down?
etc questions still left to be answered, but I'm confident in saying this stuff will get you through a season with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ONE YEAR OUTSIDE UPDATE!!!

So, after a year of being in the weather. HOW WELL DOES FLEX SEAL CLEAR WORK?

It hasn't been an easy year, either. Father was dropped on his HEAD by my son. That accounts for the chips. I LEFT HIM OUT ANYWAY.

Mother tells the better story.

The Flex seal is DEFINITELY yellowing in the sun.

And, if you zoom up in CLOSE, you can see pock marks in the coating, and spiderweb cracking where it is starting to break down.

Still, the clay and plaster is intact and shows no signs of water damage.

I'll be testing a prop stored away from the sun/weather through this coming winter till next year.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,853 Posts
Thanks for the update!! I'd been wondering about Flex Seal for use in general.

I think the cracks & crazing don't hurt the looks of the piece but if water starts getting in then you're screwed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts