Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in BIG LOTS today and picked up a Flashing Red Beacon Light (you know the type, sort of like the Kmart blue light special, except red lens cover with a rotating light inside, black base...kind of like an old police car topper). Ten bucks BTW. Has electrical cord and has a 15W type T bulb. Guess I was in the Halloween mode because something said "Buy it for a prop!" I find the most interesting things at Big Lots and never know what I'll come home with.

Anyway, I was brainstorming and

...thinking I could use this in a lab setting, maybe rig it up with a motion sensor and when triggered it would start flashing. I'm thinking...Toxic Release!!! Radiation Leak!!!...

...Maybe do a standing chamber, that could fill with some fog and when the beacon light is triggered by a motion detector a human looking prop inside rotates around (thinking motorized Xmas tree stand) and you see the human's face and it looks like The Fly or some other mutant biological experiment....

...If you have a station wagon or maybe even an SUV, you could add it on top, add a magnetic sign to the side doors and turn it into an ambulance with props inside....

...if you have a haunt hallway for ToT to walk through, decorate it like a service walkway with pipes on the walls and have the flashing red light to alert them to a dangerous situation and then have fog spew out as in a steam pipe break...

what else comes to mind?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What a great deal, GOS, I just saw those somewhere (?) for $20.00. I like the radiation leak alarm idea. It may be good to use for lighting up the face or skull of a prop by putting black tape on the side farthest from the prop. This way the light would just shine on the prop and not in the eyes of unsuspecting victims, er, people walking by.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I almost forgot I bought one late last year at a garage sale but I also have a big full sized one in blue that is magnetic and hooks up to a car battery.
My neighbor always has a huge RV out on the street which blocks the view of my house for the most part and I am planning on sitting a bucky in the drivers seat of the RV and have the light flashing to attract attention.

·
Registered
449 Posts
We have a barrel pop-up (pneumatic) with one of those two-light-socket motion detectors you get from Home Depot. We used one of those thingies that screw into a socket to provide a place to plug something in, then plugged in the red flashing light into it. Whenever the prop was triggered, the light went off too.
(Sorry for all the detailed technical language...)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
We have a barrel pop-up (pneumatic) with one of those two-light-socket motion detectors you get from Home Depot. We used one of those thingies that screw into a socket to provide a place to plug something in, then plugged in the red flashing light into it. Whenever the prop was triggered, the light went off too.
(Sorry for all the detailed technical language...)
FINALLY someone who speaks MY language...I actually understood how to do this and can help my friend with his new barrel prop this year :)

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm already set up to build my two-light-socket motion detectors this year. I bought my thingie from Wal-mart however ;)

I haven't picked a theme to use the Beacon Light with yet, but plugged it in again and it's really bright (hence beacon I guess) so will probably change out the bulb otherwise I'll probably get neighbors annoyed and calling me wondering what all the police car action is at my house. A motion sensor on this would be a good thing.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ten dollars, eh? Thanks for the heads up! That could be nice for an electric chair, just before you throw the main switch.

I like your lab hazard light idea too.

·
Super Moderator
5,912 Posts

...thinking I could use this in a lab setting, maybe rig it up with a motion sensor and when triggered it would start flashing. I'm thinking...Toxic Release!!! Radiation Leak!!!...

I've been there in real life.

Huge hangar, BIG metal doors, and a HUGE yellow sign with black letters that read "Radiation present when light is on"

I'm standing across the street going through security and this siren starts blaring, the doors start closing and that light starts swirling...meanwhile I'm standing there wondering if I'm sterile...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts