Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a little under $6 you can make a decent, inexpensive flaming tiki torch for use in your haunt. Super easy to do. Nice nighttime effect.

So last week I was playing around with the Flaming Torch Lights I had bought from Oriental Trading and realized I could combine these with inexpensive Dollar Tree tiki torches and make a quick prop out of them. Dollar Tree has the Tiki Torches featured in their stores this week BTW. Look for straight, undamaged bamboo poles. You are only going to need the poles for this so don't worry about the color of the oil/wick can it comes with.

You will need the following:

* ORIENTAL TRADING COMPANY's "Flaming Torch Light", IN-16/552, $3.75 each
* Tiki Torch. Mine was from DOLLAR TREE but they are sold all over during spring/summer time, $1.00
* 2 - AA Batteries, Dollar Tree, $1.00
Optional: rafia, bones, spider webbing, Spanish moss, etc. for customizing

Here's a photo of the Oriental Trading Flaming Torch Light and Tiki Torches I used.

DIRECTIONS:

1. Set aside the wall mount for the torch light. Save it and repurpose for a castle wall-mounted flaming torch later perhaps.

2. Next careful remove the raffia strips on the tiki torch that support the tiki oil can and wick. I cut mine off with a box cutter. There will be some glue used to adhere it to the can and the remaining pieces can be gently pried off without damaging the bamboo prong. You will not need the can/wick either. The tiki torch with the raffia removed is also shown in the above photo; this area will now fit the OT Flaming Torch Light like a glove as seen in this next photo.

3. Insert 2AA batteries into the Torch Light.

4. Place the Torch Light down inside the bamboo prongs until the rim of the Flaming Torch Light sits in the tiki torch with the rim above the bamboo prongs (see photo). The pressure of the bamboo sections will hold the light in place but you could also add raffia tied around it for additional support. Even a rubber band for example would work.

NOTE: There are two metal contacts on both the upper portion of the light and on the lamp stem. These two sections (upper and lower) need to make contact with each other or the LED light will not come on and just the fan will blow the silk flame without being lit. This is NOT mentioned in the diagram on the box so don't forget it or you might think your light is broken.

5. To turn your new battery-operated Flaming Tiki Torch off and on, use one hand to grasp the top part of the torch and reach with the fingers of the other hand inside the split bamboo prongs to twist the stem so that the batteries make contact. You should be able to do this with the Torch Light in place in the tiki torch or you can do this ahead of time and position it once on.

6. Option decorations: Additional raffia can be tied around the upper torch area. You could add bones, feather, spider webbing, small skulls, etc. to the raffia as well. You could paint the torch I suppose but use spray paint made for plastics. Be careful to maintain clean metal contacts.

For the silk flame to flutter, you will need to maintain the airflow going to the fan. I recommend leaving the stem and lower vented torch portion of the Torch Light unobstructed for best performance.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Bamboo poles will have splinters, especially where the pole was split to form the prongs, so use caution when handling.

7. You are now ready to mount you Flaming Tiki Torches on the ground. I have Tiki-brand cast iron torch stands that I will probably use for this purpose (available at various sources including Walmart and lawn and garden centers carrying Tiki-brand products i.e. Home Depot). But anything that will support a pole could be a possible solution.

Here's the final photo of the new Flaming Tiki Torch in a darkened room. Doesn't give off a lot of light but the flame is visible and it does look pretty cool. I had mine on last night for a number hours on a fresh set of AAs and it was still running fine when I turned them off to go to bed. If you don't use additional raffia securing the torch to the bamboo, you can easily pull the Torch Light out and change batteries and be up and running quickly.

Enjoy. Just in time to try out ahead of time during the summer!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tiki Foam Statute Links

I wasn't sure where here on the forum to share these links but since I posted this thread on Tiki Torches here, figured what better place for Tiki Statues.

These projects are from a forum called Tiki Central which I enjoy visiting and thought you might too. Some really talented people there as well. And while not halloween in theme they are just as passionate about tiki as we are about halloween. Most of the projects there are carved or made from wood, bamboo, etc. trying to stay traditional but these projects below are made using sonotubes, foam board and monster mud (sort of) and I thought would be appreciated by members here. Some of these are done in a tutorial style. When I do my skull island jungle theme haunt, I'd like to create something like these:

Foam Tiki Totum Pole: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40007&forum=7

Large Foam Moai with Lava (scroll down a bit): http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16021&forum=20&start=105

Polystyrene statutes, stone and wood look: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28943&forum=7

Apparently everyone shops at Big Lots....and uses similar techniques.

·
Registered
365 Posts
that's an awesome idea!
We always have a ton of tiki torches but replacing wicks, filling oil cans, the tarry mess that accumulates over the off-season..
I'm getting tired of tiki torches... this might be worth the switch out.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What a great idea! That is an awesome effect. I could have used a bunch of those last year!

Eric

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
If you are comfortable and confident with your own electronic skills, you can actually disassemble these tiki LED lamps and mount the important parts inside the original bottle that came with the dollar store tiki torch bamboo stand.

You'll toss the wick and little metal cap and cut the bottom off with a can opener. Depending on how the components are attached inside the LED torch, you may have to fabricate mounts for them (which potentially are as simple stiff wire or popsicle sticks hot glued in place as struts and components hotglued to those. The flap of fabric from the LED torch simply hot glues to the inside of the top of the bottle and gets pulled up through the cap spout. You might also need to buy yourself a new 2 AA battery holder. Then just close off the bottom by putting a ring of velcro inside the bottom and attaching thick/heavy black fabric to that to eliminate the light bleed.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I did something similar, but replaced the flammable torch part with a chandalier (sp) socket and a neon flicker bulb. Gives it that nice, flame-like look.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,607 Posts
I wasn't sure where here on the forum to share these links but since I posted this thread on Tiki Torches here, figured what better place for Tiki Statues.

These projects are from a forum called Tiki Central which I enjoy visiting and thought you might too. Some really talented people there as well. And while not halloween in theme they are just as passionate about tiki as we are about halloween. Most of the projects there are carved or made from wood, bamboo, etc. trying to stay traditional but these projects below are made using sonotubes, foam board and monster mud (sort of) and I thought would be appreciated by members here. Some of these are done in a tutorial style. When I do my skull island jungle theme haunt, I'd like to create something like these:

Foam Tiki Totum Pole: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40007&forum=7

Large Foam Moai with Lava (scroll down a bit): http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16021&forum=20&start=105

Polystyrene statutes, stone and wood look: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28943&forum=7

Apparently everyone shops at Big Lots....and uses similar techniques.
OMG YOU MADE MY DAY SPOOKIE!!!

We have a thing for tiki, the husband LOVES it & has waaaay too many tiki mugs from Shag to Tiki Farm & everything in between. We own several cement tikis for outdoors. We bought them pretty cheaply in VA Beach & he painted them himself but they're cement. Every so often one of the Moai heads keels over (it sits under a tree where it gets kinda mushy if it rains a lot) & I can't move it at all. I can sorta nudge it a bit but I can't move the Moai or any of the others we own. It usually takes 2 people to do it & one of 'em ain't me!!

Those links & instructions are just the thing I need to make our own & make them lighter.

It's "that time" at Big Lots too when they have their summer tiki stuff out & I'm going to get my hair cut on Friday morning & the salon is in the same center with Dollar Tree AND Big Lots & in season Spirit is there too!!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you guys like this quick makeover project. I picked up a few more tiki torches from Dollar Tree myself yesterday and will have to order a few more OT torch lights to make a full set. I've seen projects where you make the whole flaming torch from parts, but time and technical talent is short here! Hubby can solder and has an understanding of electronics and circuitry but he's rusty and he doesn't have much time right now to help out. I will probably adorn my torches but we do a one-night Halloween thing here and at night you don't always see alot of the detail so for me seeing the torch light as is doesn't bother me.

@@RCIAG, we love tropical as well. Since moving to Calif and finally buying a house a number of years ago, we started landscaping with palms. So skelimingos and tiki themes fit right in with the landscaping (or will when its all done LOL). My favorite sites to visit are Halloween Forum, Palm Talk, and Tiki Central. If you are into tiki you should really check the last site out. There's this one guy, Bamboo Bob that totally blew my mind away with is building skill. But honestly just like HF has super talented home "pros", the same thing can be said of TC. BTW I can't recall the HF haunter, might have been Devils Chariot but I could be wrong, and it was a few years ago now, but this person and his friends did a fantastic tropical theme that really inspired me to want to do a whole yard walk thru myself.

A few years back Big Lots had a lot of cool cheap tiki items, way better than the last few years. Flaming Tikis, solar Tikis and such. Bought a few of them during summer clearance back then. Then DT a few years ago had these great resin tiki gods I collected a bunch of for a tiki display that I had seen on TC (might be on the thread with the Giant Moai and Lava). If you are interested do a search for Big Lots and Dollar Tree on that site. Even if you can't find these items in the stores any more, I'm sure they will spark some ideas!

I see you are in MD so figure palms are not that common there except for a few cold hardies maybe. If you watch BL when they start to clear out their faux potted plants you can sometimes get some great tropical plants there for a decent price. Picked up some potted red canna that way. I also found ROSS DRESS FOR LESS had some faux palms in stock in the spring/summer timeframe that were a good price. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts