Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to mimic this lighting effect behind a pumpkin mask for a skeleton scarecrow prop. Is there a source for an insert light or a build thread on how to obtain this visual?

Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
just use a LED flame bulb. It won’t look as nice as what you see in the video but I believe that is computer generated. It may also help to cover the eye and mouth holes with a piece of translucent paper or plastic to further diffuse the light.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just use a LED flame bulb. It won’t look as nice as what you see in the video but I believe that is computer generated. It may also help to cover the eye and mouth holes with a piece of translucent paper or plastic to further diffuse the light.
Don't believe it's computer generated. I have a similar pumpkin that I picked up from Home Depot this season. I haven't taken it apart, but I suspect it's a cylinder with a flame pattern on it that rotates around a bulb to give the moving flame effect - as the pattern repeats. I was hoping to find something similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As Detour said, looks very much like a cylinder effect shining onto a gauze behind the eyes and mouth. The video does look suprisingly good.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I was just in HD and took a look at one of these. From what I could see inside, looks like two yellow LED's pointed rearward at something that is turning and reflecting the image forward.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's the same principle as an electric fireplace. You have a piece of 1 way glass with a flame pattern on it, and a reflector that rotates and reflects the light from a bulb in psudo-random spots.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't believe it's computer generated. I have a similar pumpkin that I picked up from Home Depot this season. I haven't taken it apart, but I suspect it's a cylinder with a flame pattern on it that rotates around a bulb to give the moving flame effect - as the pattern repeats. I was hoping to find something similar.
It looks to me there is a semi-translucent film that has been place behind the eyes and mouth of the pumpkin. That film you can get from a theatre company (called gel). I would agree with you on the cylinder or something similar with a pattern rolling around in the background. You might be able to get one of those mini projectors to work that they sell in the box stores; not sure about this year, as the inventory is really low compared to prior years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Flame bulb from Walmart. I have one in each sconce with a pumpkin pail over each and they look spot on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I opened one to see what was in there

Thanks for the video. I was watching if these stuck around in store and made their way to mark down... but although they've been some of the last in store items, they're not gone too. I thought if they got marked down low enough, I could pick up a couple for the mechanism.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought two, then realized there were two different ones at HD. So I have two of one and one of the other. I really like them.

Rechargeable batteries last about 7 hours in them. I may hardwire them and get a 5v transformer to run all three.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts