Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a thread for this yet, so I hope it's OK to start one. I went to our store today, hoping to find something.

The only thing that I did see that was truly Halloweenish, was a box of Nightmare Before Christmas "trading figurines". Our store had one box that was nearly empty. There were no Jack, Sally, or Oogie Boogie left. I picked up a Shock and Zero (they come together), Dr. Finkelstein, and Lock and Barrel (they come together).

Unfortunately, I did not think to check the boxes before getting home (45 minutes away!!), and my sweetie opened them to find that someone had stolen Shock and Zero. I paid $2 for an empty box, and it was the only set that I even really wanted out of all of the ones that were there!

They are not very well made. I cannot get Barrel's feet to fit over the "stops" that are supposed to hold him upright. It was also very difficult to get Lock's chain set into the ankle cuff. Mine is twisted just a little, so that it turns Barrel's figure, because the ball attaches to his arms. His hands are actually on the ball itself, which fits into holes in his wrists. That set has 4 pieces.

Dr. Finkelstein on the other hand, is two pieces, just him and his chair. He is very detailed, and definitely worth $2.

I dread seeing the prices that these must go for on the internet!

Our store had them in the back with the toys, near the gag gifts.

HALL NBC minis.jpg
HALL NBC minis oob.jpg

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Sorry you got ripped off on the one you wanted. Guess it's a good point to make that people should at least shake their boxes if they can't open them to make sure some kid didn't take the stuff out. Despite the quality, those are pretty nice. They certainly would make a nice cheap model from which to base making a prop off of though. You get the full 3D view as oppose to trying to work off of a flat image.

Like Garden Ridge, I wish this was a store that was out west as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
LairMistress, I am glad that you started this thread since I recently learned that a Five Below is going to open about 30 minutes from me. It looks like they are expanding quite a bit.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ours was still very loaded down with summer stuff.

I will be checking back next time I go, to see if they get more of these in. If so, I will pick up extras if they have them...that way those of you who don't have stores can still get them. They're very lightweight plastic, and each box is only $2. I guess I didn't show Lock and Barrel very well, maybe I can get a better picture of them if I can get Barrel to stand up better.

Last year they had a fair selection of cheap Halloween goodies. I bought my sons a Casper and Friends DVD set (2 DVDs and a CD I believe). My 3 yr old thinks that Casper is the greatest thing, I bet he watches that three times a day!

I can't wait to see what they have this year. Hopefully they'll blow that summer stuff out soon!

I may even be going back on Friday, not sure--but next week definitely, because my son has an appt. over there one day.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
We just had one open up near us. I'm anxiously awaiting their Halloween offerings.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
If you have any props or lighting that runs on 5 volts, keep an eye out for the "power-on-the-go" recharger packs they occasionally stock. They're USB-based rechargeable battery packs for MP3 players and cellphones. If you've done your own 5v LED spotlights, these are great for powering lights on the periphery of your display and $5 is pretty much the cheapest price you'll ever find them at.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I stopped by the store near me and was able to grab all the figures except Jack and Sally. The Oogie Boogie figure is a heavy piece and good sized too. They seem pretty stable but Dr. Finklestien falls forward a little when placed in his chair. Overall I think they're nice pieces. And because of LairMistress' warning, I made sure to check the boxes. Will go back in a couple days to see if i can find Jack and Sally.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
About 2 months ago I stopped in a small store and was very surprised to find a good selection of plastic model kits there ! (Never had such items ever before)
His prices were low. I became enthused over a kit that usually sells for $50 to 85$.. but something told me to open the box and check it...
.. inside the box was a crumby little cheap, non-descript airplane made by a company I have scarcely heard of before. maybe worth $10 on a good day?
"Somebody" would have Very upset when they opened this for the first time at home. So glad it wasn't me!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't see the Ouija board at my store. I was disappointed, because that's the main reason that I went. :) I know that the other post said that it was spelled differently, but I looked at all of the games, and didn't see anything like it. Ours may just have been out of stock, though.

I'm interested in knowing more about it too!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went back today! Still no real Halloween to speak of, but I did pick up a few things that I consider Halloweenish, anyway.

HALL NBC minis new.jpg

They had more of the Nightmare Before Christmas minis--and they had all of the basic figures today. Yep, I checked the boxes before putting them into the cart, and now I have all of them! ($2 each)

HALL Casper DVDs.jpg

I picked up two more Casper DVDs for my little guy. He's a big fan! They still had the one that I bought there last year, but it was in a package by itself, no CD story to go with it. ($5 each)

HALL weeji.jpg

I picked up the "Weeji" from the game section, for $5. All four corners have playing card pips in them, and I showed close ups of the top corners here. It's thinner than the Parker Bros. version, but still relatively sturdy. I must have just missed seeing them the first time I was there, because they were right in the center of the games.

HALL glow bracelets.jpg

The lantern in this pic is from a thrift shop, but the glow "sticks" are from Five Below. I really thought that they were $3, I must have been looking at a sign for something else.

They were $5 for a tube of 50, and they are bracelet size, and come with connectors so you can make bracelets out of all of them (I wasn't positive, because it says "sticks" on the tube, rather than "bracelets"). I can't remember how much Michaels and Dollar Tree sell their bracelet tubes for, but it seems like they were 10 for $1? So they're really the same price. Still, if you can't find them elsewhere, they are here! I opened one of the tubes, and there were actually 52 connectors in it.

Oh, and I almost forgot...

HALL HP magnets.jpg

They're not exactly Halloween, but for you Harry Potter fans, they have these cool fridge magnets. $3 each.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I forgot to note in my picture post that the "Weeji" opens up to 19 inches wide, and is 9.5 inches "tall". I think that the others are more of a square, but I'm not sure, I don't have one to compare it to. (starting my collection now, haha)

Is the Ouija board they carry regular size?

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
I have always been intrigued by Ouija boards but will never own one again. I have had them when I was younger and weird things have happened. The one posted above is kind of cool but I don't think I would actually purchase one again. I was at a store in Milwaukee a few weeks ago called The Magic Shop or something like that and they had a old Ouija board there. Every I was with was freaked out by it but I thought it looked pretty cool. I wasn't going to purchase it though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts