Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built a floating lantern and noticed last night during a test run that the fishing line that I used to suspend it tends to catch the light, thus giving away the fact that its hanging from something.

I used to have this thin black line that I had found in my grandfather's old tackle box, but I haven't been able to find anything close to it in stores.

So my question is what do you use to suspend/hang "floating" props and if you use fishing line, how do you deal with its reflective properties?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look for Spiderwire in the fishing dept. It's thin, black and quite strong. I use 100 pound test for my Axworthy ghost and it's tough to see even in the daylight. You'd only need 10-20 lb test.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm using black nylon coated steel wire from the beading section, the stuff they use for making necklaces and such, for my FCG. Strong and tough to see even in the light from 10 feet away.

I'll have ot check out that Spiderwire though next time I'm in the market for line.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One other thing that I do is dab some flat black paint onto a small piece of sponge and then pinch your lines with the sponge and slide it up and down the line. This will coat your line with an even layer of flat black and make it dissappear in low level lighting. Very easy to do and well worth the couple of minutes it takes. If your using regular fishing line, use several coats. The spider wire is not dark black, more of a grey and it takes paint very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts