Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks:

I decided in September to do a haunt in the back yard for the first time, but did not plan to well. So, I built some columns and some fences in my spare time. The weekend before halloween I purchased 1.25" PVC Pipe and 4 mil black plastic thinking I could make halls and rooms. It was a disaster! It rained...the PVC sagged with 10' lengths...time running out...it sucked!

Back to Lowes...30 2x4's, 20 sheets of OSB and galvanized brackets, less $300... Structure up on Monday by myself. Tuesday it rained again and the lawn was fairly saturated so I bought some pine straw and laid it down all inside. I realized later that tactically it was a nice surface to walk on for the haunt. Also, I purchased a clearance huge painters tarp that was treated. What's important is that it had some weird smell and that the tarp plus the smells from the new hanging dorp was just another sensory plus. The straw and the smell were not thought out but next year I now know to appeal to all sensory traits.

In conclusion, here are some partial pics of the structure but there is more. Pictures to follow will be a cemetary, the laboratory and the pirates lair, but I rushed so much there was hardly time for pictures. I'm waiting for my friend to bring them over this week. Just my saga. Through the year I will apply more diligence and the result shall be more impressive with more home built animatronics. I have 8 animated Gemmy props but the way to go are home built. I was able to experiment a little with motion detectors, lights and music this year. Already planning for next year...but wait...OH ****...just got all the halloween stuff stored...now I have to take out all the Christmas stuff and run some tests with my Animated Lighting setup. Did somebody say the holidays were fun?

View attachment 3288

View attachment 3289

View attachment 3290

View attachment 3291
Ciao

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good job! I had considered doing something like that this year but opted against it due to my highly unlevel yard and the expense to construct the exterior walls. Is yours totally free standing? Or did you use post supports or even rebar stakes on the the corners?

Also where exactly are you located? I used OSB for my pillars and even though I primed them with kiltz and use two coats of exterior paint the heavy moisture and rain infiltrated the wood and caused some the OSB chips to begin to expand. The pillars were a bit spongy feeling at times (early morning and after it rained). Did you use some clear coat poly on the back sides of the walls?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That's very impressive for a first year haunt!
Have you thought about making panels for walls in the future? I've been haunting for 8 yrs in my haunted maze. We use a variety of materials for walls: (osb plywood) 4x8 panels, 6x6 panels, recycled wooden doors, full sheets of plywood, & scrap wood. Our panels are braced with 2x2x8 & braced in the center for support. We also use galv. "L" brackets for more support on the inner corners. Tagboard or Hardboard is another cheaper source vs using osb plywood. It's lighter but, not as strong as osb. Does tend to warp if not supported properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts