To be honest I have tinkered with the idea of moving there many times. At this point, after visiting so much, we love it just for the fact that its a great town and the people are nice. Halloween, and autumn is the bonus, but its honestly great for food, drinks and music as well. Most of the stuff we look forward to most there isn't even halloween related. Like I mentioned before GULU Cafe is amazing. We own a boston terrier and their mascot is Jack, the Boston Terrier which the owners of the place have. They also own a pug. His face is plastered on the window of the joint and thats what drew me in there in the first place. It has become one of my favorite places on earth. Comfortable, and has great food.
We are from NJ by the way. Not so far a travel, but still to far. We go almost every year. Between that and Sleepy Hollow we are fortunate to have to great Halloween towns within driving distance. Where are you guys from? I can honestly say Salem is my favorite place in the country. You will love it.
A few other tips-
1. Not sure if I saw but are you going ON Halloween? It gets a bit crazy, I went once and will never go the day of again. The Week of...sure but never that day.
2. Staying in Peabody is way cheaper, but if you ever get the chance to stay at the Hawthorn do so, its great waking up in the center of town.
3. Save up.... you WILL buy tons of stuff.
4. if your going in the fall and driving north bound take the Merrit Parkway in Connecticut, its amazing
5. Visit the old burial grounds, you won't be disappointed.
I'll definitely make a point of going to GULU Cafe due to your raving review!
I haven't heard of Sleepy Hollow! Please tell me more about that!
I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia, so it will be about a five hour drive for us.
We aren't going on Halloween. We're going the weekend before (October 28-30). I've seen videos of Salem on Halloween day and it honestly looks packed. I'm sure the weekend before won't be too much better... right?
We originally had reservations at the Marriot Peabody, but found an Airbnb room for less than a third of the price of one night at the Marriot!
Ahhhh yes I am super ready to go wild and purchase a bunch of souveniers from our trip!
Thank you again!!!