Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided this is the year I am finally gonna make a few of my own tombstones. I have been inspired by all the wonderful designs and tutorials on this forum, especially Terra, she rocks. Anyhow hopefully I can complete them in time for Halloween. These are just a few pics, I'll post more as I go along. routing out channel for pvc pipe.jpg tomstone design #1.jpg tombstone design #2.jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
Excellent! Nice design and a very neat job of cutting. Now comes the fun part of aging and finishing it. Looking forward to your progress.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice job, that is the way I'm doing mine with the pvc support in the middle. The only thing that makes me sick is seeing every one using the thick Styrofoam. What I mean, is that must be a northern thing cause the thickest they sell here in the south is 3/4, in Lowes and Home depot that is. I wish I could get my hands on thick stryo. I have to glue several piece's together to get the same look you get with just one peice, Jealous to say the least......

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Texas_T I will gladly trade you temperatures in the Winter time. LOL We need thick insulation up here. Some times it drops down to below 0. Do you still want the thick foamboards, LOL

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. JDubbya your tombstones are Schweet. Hope mine turn out as nice as yours.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Great start & like the shapes you've chosen.

Texas_T --- try a different HD (pink) or Lowes (blue) as I've been able to buy 1" in N. Dallas area, $14+ per sheet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a few more pictures of my first attempt at making my own Tombstones. Glued the PVC pipe and sides together tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can get started on carving the epitaph, and putting in a few cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Halloween Kat, have not found the 1" in Arl area but I am using the blue board from lowes it is the one that is 3/4 with the tongue and groove. Works pretty good

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks good, I notice that you are using liquid nails, you might try a product from loctite it is made for foamboard and I have found it works real good I think the number on it is PL3000. Plus it only costs about 3.50 a tube and it sets up pretty quick.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Looks great......for a "first timer" you sure have it all down pat.....i know these are gonna be really good when they're done.....can't wait to see 'em.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks CFD318, I saw your post a few weeks ago on the progress of your monument. All I can say is WOW. That has got to be one of the best made, most detailed props I have ever seen on this site. You did an amazing job on your monument. Hopefully mine will turn out half as good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I haven't found anything over 3/4" myself, similar area. But it works well enough; nothing a little foam adhesive won't fix :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those who are curious, size does not matter, LOL. I used 1 1/2". However we also have 2" up here in Cincinnati. I'll be using 2" next time, abandon the sandwiching technique, too time consuming. I found a tutorial where the guy just uses a 7/8" drill bit to drill holes thru the bottom for the PVC pipe. Seems quicker and easier, a lot faster. Also thought of just using 1" and gluing some plywood to the back, using pipe straps/brackets to attach the PVC pipe. As they say their is more than one way to skin a cat. On my store bought stones I have duct taped the pvc pipe to the back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some updated pictures of my progress, not going as fast as I would hope for. As usual work is getting in the way, not to mention my boiler is on the fritz and it is starting to get cold in Cincinnati. Oh Well. anyhow this weekend I glued the base together and sanded down the stones after the glue dried, starting to come together. Worked on the epitaph and design tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally found time to get the epitaph transferred to my tombstone, tried using ball point pen with slight pressure, but couldn't penetrate 2 and 3 layers of paper. So I just cut right thru lettering with an exacto knife. Took longer than I thought. But this could be due to the fact that I am an ex graphic artist and I am a perfectionist. Anyway, hope to start routing it out later today.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts