Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your kind words, I'm happy with the outcome but do have a couple of concerns. I built them out of very thin paneling to keep the cost down and I wasn't sure if I could pull them off. Now I'm worried about warping and damage from wind because they are fragile because they are so thin. I've attached them to 1'X3' wood and used clamps to attach PVE so they will slide over rebarb for display. I hope the wood will keep them from warping and the PVC will allow quick set-up and taken down when weather rolls in. I also gave them three coats of paint and water sealer to fight warping...fingers crossed. If I had it to do over again I would use thicker plywood to make them out of. Here's a photo of a test before I painted the wood struts and PVC so you can see how thin they are and how I attached the wood and PVC. One good thing about them being so thin, unscrew the wood and PVC and the take up little room for storage. witch10.jpg

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I Love those!! They look fantastic!

I especially like the picture of them against the sunset. For night time lighting, I would suggest back lighting them instead of front lighting as you have in one of the pictures. Shining a light on something behind them will make them silhouettes as they should be. It might even work to have lights shining at them from behind. I would try that. If you really want to go all out, use a fog machine or two. Feed the output into a long PVC pipe with a line of holes in it facing straight up, with one fog machine at each end. Set it back about 10 feet from the prop. Use some colored lights (LEDs would probably work best) set just behind the 'curtain of fog' you are creating. Have them facing up lighting up the fog. Maybe even slowly changing colors. Depends on how fancy you want to get. This should give you eerie colored fog rising up behind them like a wall with your prop silhouetted in front of it. Your prop would look amazing with that as a backdrop. Even a white sheet hung on a line behind them with some lights shining on it in the same way would give a similar effect, if you don't want to go the whole fog machine route.

However you display them, you have a real pro looking prop there! Kudos!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Beautiful silhoutte work. How difficult was it to cut out? Also curious how you got them to stand.
They really weren't that bad, I used a jig saw to cut the basic shapes then used the trusty drimal for the fine cuts. They were a bit awkward cutting around some areas just getting into the right position to do the cuts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts