Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been content in just modifying decorations and making costumes but this year took on my first large prop build.

Decided to make a pumpkin sentinel like creature to put in my flagpole holder.

Failed to take pictures along the way but got a lot of great info on the site.

Here is how it looks at 95% complete.

I put it in place last night and will update with more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first visit also, but I'm a seasoned vet at the best display in my neighborhood (Corona CA).
I've never made my own prop from scratch, but that's terrific. My thing is a "Haunted Graveyard" ,
I've done it for 18 years now since I got married and bought a house in 2000. Every year I learn a
little more, try something new to up the ante..nice to find some people as into Halloween as I am.
We're a dying breed, very few decorate in my area, and these are $400K and up homes, it
seems like the tradition of decorating is fading, ..but I'll always do it and I taught my 12 yr old I want
him to do it for his child

·
Registered
226 Posts
Pooprascal- That guy is dope.... He would look so creepy on the flag pole holder. I cant wait to see pics of him on his throne

wyattspoppa- My sister lives in Corona and I am about 15 minutes up the 15 from you...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like this prop, can you describe more about the construction and materials you used?
Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I will do my best to outline how I made him. Most of the materials I used are ones I had around the house. There may be better options if your starting with nothing.

I build the frame out of 3/4" pvc pipe.

The rib cage was cut from a single tile of those interlocking foam floor mats (think I originally got these at local harbor freight) The sternum was the center point.

I wrapped the ribs and connected the back to the pvc with zip ties.

I wrapped pieces of rope and pipe cleaners around the pvc and added smaller pieces of the foam for dimension in the upper arms.

I covered the whole thing with pieces of an old plastic shower curtain liner, and heat gunned it tight arount the frame. I added several pieces in specific locations to get a kind of layered look with some openings.

Made the hands out of two foam pieces that I cut for the upper and lower palms then ran long pieces of wire through them for fingers. added plastic tubing over the wire cut for each finger segment, with round beads between for knuckles.

covered with masking tape them more plastic and heat gunned them.

The finger wires were left long enough to attach to the arms.

Painted the whole thing with primer, then light brown, then some old leather dye (brown, burgundy and yellow) then three coats of polyurethane.

The head I found on sale and Michael's. It isn't hallow so I had to cut a face into it and push as much of the foam in to make it appear so. I can't light it up but those funkins are so stinking spendy and I was working with a tight budget.

I think that is about the jist of it. I am more than happy to answer any other questions. This is my first build so I am definitely not the expert.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very nice and thank you for describing your build process. The hands look great and I will definitely try to use that technique.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My first visit also, but I'm a seasoned vet at the best display in my neighborhood (Corona CA).
I've never made my own prop from scratch, but that's terrific. My thing is a "Haunted Graveyard" ,
I've done it for 18 years now since I got married and bought a house in 2000. Every year I learn a
little more, try something new to up the ante..nice to find some people as into Halloween as I am.
We're a dying breed, very few decorate in my area, and these are $400K and up homes, it
seems like the tradition of decorating is fading, ..but I'll always do it and I taught my 12 yr old I want
him to do it for his child
Any pics or video available of the graveyard?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have always been content in just modifying decorations and making costumes but this year took on my first large prop build.
And thus the madness begins. :) Great job on your first effort. You did a wonderful job.

Modifying decorations has always been the gateway drug to the harder stuff, but once you feel that sense of pride surging through you that you've created something uniquely yours, it's not easy to go back to store bought. Keep up the great work, and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not the expert?!?! I thought i was doing good with re-using scrap foam for my fist prop but you sir, you knocked it out of the park in my opinion! It looks better than anything I've seen in the stores this year or pretty much any other year. I don't quite have the artistry of the vine down yet (but I'm learning and the wytchwood tutorials on youtube are a big help) and I'd love a peek at the inside of the ribcage to get a better idea of how you formed the ribs so cleanly with the sharp and well formed lowest ribs curving back. I certainly would be proud to display it and I'm not ashamed to say my first dozen attempts at making it probably won't look anywhere near that clean no matter how hard I try or how careful I measure, bend, and tweak. Painting... well painting is certainly not my strong suit either. LOL! I can't wait to see any and all of your future projects too.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Poopster, my goal is to make props that look like something from out of a nightmare...and you nailed it. Get acquainted with a technique known as Dry Brushing and experiment with lighting...and Welcome Aboard!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts