Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am building my first prop. I appreciate all the help that you guys have given me. I understand what I need to get for my air compressor. The thing that I don't get is how to connect it to my prop. Is there a device that I need? Or do I need to buy a special adapter for the prop? I am a total newbie, and I don't know a lot about this stuff. Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im still waiting on some parts. I heard that I shouldn't use PVC, so I want to use metal pipes. So basically it is a garbage can, with a mask over a foam manequinn head, on a pole. The thing that I do not understand is how to make the head pop up. Is it a contraption or is it just shooting air upward? Thank you

·
Registered
43 Posts
im guessing your going to build your own cylinder?
a cylinder is basically a tube that pushes something in a linear motion

here is a link to a video on how they work

here is another great video

and here is a website that sells pneumatic cylinders that will work great for your application

i suggest subscribing to these youtube channnels because they have great pneumatic tutorials

anything else you need, im here to help

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok sorry. Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it. I understand how to connect air compressor, however the only thing that I do not understand in how to make the mask move quickly upward.

·
Registered
43 Posts
alright well are you making you own pneumatic cylinder, because i highly discourage you from doing this, they are very unreliable, you can purchase cheap cylinders off of ebay, or frightprops, and this will make this prop last years of canstant wear and tear,

·
Registered
43 Posts
this is your best bet for the application your doing

http://www.frightprops.com/pneumati...cting-universal-mount-cylinder-0758-1062.html

click on stroke size, and you can personally choose what you want the stoke size to be,
remember the stroke size is how big you'd like the cylinder to extend, personally i would go lower then 10 inch stroke, 12 inch stroke would be the best, but it gets a bit pricey

if you do choose to buy this cylinder you will also need a solenoid,
a solenoid is an electrically controlled valve that controls the air flow through the cylinder

http://www.frightprops.com/pneumati...k-up-starter-kit-double-acting-0595-0027.html

^ this is a kit that will save you money by buying it all together and not piece by piece,
choose the 110 vac option when it asks you, this just means you can plug it into your wall outlet, and you dont need a transformer, yes it will turn out to be 70-90 bucks, but when you get into pneumatics it gets kinda expensive

hope this helps,

·
Registered
43 Posts
this is also a very helpfull video that will show you the use of solenoids

this is how he hooked it up

and this is the type of effect your going for im guessing?
dont worry when he talks about a controller, you dont need one to do this effect

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah it will be about 104 and than the compressor will be about 200 with the hoses and accessories. So 304 for everything. Which isn't bad, because animatronics from spirit run about 100 each and I buy 5 every year. And they break anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cylinders are really a lot less expensive on Ebay. I picked up 3, Norgren 24 inch stroke, 1 1/2 inch bore cylinders for $30 + $18 shipping. Cant beat that IMO

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes that is exactly the effect I am going for. those videos were very helpful, and I understand how to set it up. The only thing is, how do I make the head pop up with the cylinder?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts