Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my first toe-pincher coffin this past weekend.

coffin-closed.jpg

coffin-open.jpg

It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I used the plans found on the ScareFX site (http://www.scarefx.com/project_coffin_2.html), but the dimensions didn't work out for me. I had to keep recutting the boards to fit. I had some other issues, but they were mostly due to me not thinking through the process.

I think it came out okay, but the irregularities of the finished product drove my oldest son nuts (he's very detailed orientated). I had to keep telling I'm that it won't really matter for a prop like this, and these kind of coffins are supposed to look battered and like they were quickly slapped together.

Any ideas on aging the wood, as if it was buried for decades?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Originally posted by Kwll2112:
Any ideas on aging the wood, as if it was buried for decades?
Pour a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water in a plastic container, shred up a couple of steel wool pads in it, add a tablespoon of instant coffee granules if you have some, stir it, put a lid on it and let it sit overnight. Next day, stir it up and brush the liquid onto the wood like you were painting it. In a few minutes you'll start to see it change into a weathered state. Let it dry for a day and you're good to go!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kwll2112:

Pour a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water in a plastic container, shred up a couple of steel wool pads in it, add a tablespoon of instant coffee granules if you have some, stir it, put a lid on it and let it sit overnight. Next day, stir it up and brush the liquid onto the wood like you were painting it. In a few minutes you'll start to see it change into a weathered state. Let it dry for a day and you're good to go!
Sounds awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Great toe pincher. After all the doubt and trial and error, it turned out just fine! Exactly what this forum is about. MAking it, then sharing the result and plans with everyone else here making Halloween even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That looks great, I definitely want to see what it looks like after you age it.

One other technique is you buy grey stain and rub it all over, do not worry about it applying evenly, just rub it on the wood for a base coat (let dry, it's fine if it's tacky or completely dry). Then get a darker stain, like mahogany, and apply it. With a separate go back and wipe of the dark stain, repeat steps with the mahogany until it gets the results you want. Also, if you leave it outside for storage, it'll help amplify the authentic look.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I built this very same coffin last year. I used pine wood. I tried the steel wool and vinegar to age the wood. It did NOT work. The wood will need to be dried out a very long time before you can do anything to it. Save yourself some time....i found out the hard way.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about starting with grey stain, too. Saw a picnic table that was stained with the grey and thought it would make a good base coat. I found a whole can of dark stain we didn't use from last year, I think I'm going to try using that on top of the grey.

Living here in the AZ desert, I think I'm going to put all that heat and sun to work and store the coffin(s) on the side of the house for a while for some extra aging.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I was thinking about starting with grey stain, too. Saw a picnic table that was stained with the grey and thought it would make a good base coat. I found a whole can of dark stain we didn't use from last year, I think I'm going to try using that on top of the grey.

Living here in the AZ desert, I think I'm going to put all that heat and sun to work and store the coffin(s) on the side of the house for a while for some extra aging.
I tried the stain route on some scrap first and didn't like the results, it didn't look weathered. Beware of letting your nice finished toe pincher in the hot baking sun, it will likely warp and twist it up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried the stain route on some scrap first and didn't like the results, it didn't look weathered. Beware of letting your nice finished toe pincher in the hot baking sun, it will likely warp and twist it up.
Good idea. I've got a bunch of scrap leftover, and plenty of time before we need them, Aging a single board and see what works best is a good course of action. The wood is very porous, as it's cheap rough hewn fence boards, so will probably take stain differently then smooth boards.

I have a wood pallet and some boards that have been outside for years and the biggest issue I have it it cracking, not warping. I agree the potential is there, but sun-aging might be a good look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts