Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to make some columns this year for my driveway. Was going to do pirates but made the last minute call to go haunted graveyard/mansion style. This is my first attempt at aging a prop using the staining method. Not to bad. Still have a bit of work to go and attach to the framing.

image.jpg

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Nice job!

Only thing I'd suggest is maybe hitting the whole column (not just the areas around the cracks/bricks) with a watered down black wash, and then dripping some water through it to make the paint run in more natural patterns rather than using a brush exclusively to drag through the paint - looks more realistic when you have the whole column area "aged" and the water will make the paint settle in the natural nooks and crannies like it does in genuine weather-exposed objects.

But it looks pretty darn good just as it is. :)

If you do try the water dripping/aging paint, do this out in the grass or something so you don't stain up your flooring. I learned pretty fast on that one! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the tip FG and MM. They aren't done yet. This was the base/heavier stain drips. I'm using a storage tote to set them in to collect all the drippings. Figured when I add the stain to darken the less obvious places, it will still cover my "crack drips" and add to them. Any more tips are welcomed. I'm using techniques from " Tarra". She makes it look so easy.

Registered
Looks good IcePick. Looks like you've been aging your whole life! :cool:

Registered
Looks good IcePick. Looks like you've been aging your whole life! :cool:
Doh! Chef! I can't believe you just said that! ;)

Registered
I did some columns that look very similar to yours about 5 years ago. When I aged mine. I would use a brush to dab on dark color paints in all the recessed areas and then I would use a squirt bottle to make the paint run down the prop naturally. I would also put the paint on with a dry brush and then go over it with a damp brush to thin it out. I just played with different colors and techniques until I achieved the desired look I was going for. I would use a bunch of different colors. I used several different shades of green, several shades of gray, black, a little yellow, etc. Obviously earth tones are the way to go.

Oak Lane Cemetery
Good start, but go crazy with it. Mist the entire column with plain water, then use a soft 2" brush and fling your staining tea at all the edges and under the overhangs. Let it splatter where it may, then mist again to get it to run more if it is not already. Dab at places you want heavier streaks like below cracks and holes. Start out with black tea stain, then add a little brown, and maybe some green. Once it dries do it again. I find I get a better effect with multiple layers.

Registered
Nice job! Well I've been aging for almost 50 years and I don't look near that good!!!!!

Registered
Love it!....I would......#1 Put the heat gun to it and create some hi and low spots (it they are made of foam)....it roughens up the surface and gives them dimension. #2....Throw some Moss on those bad boys....can't have age and decay without a little organic growth.....it suggests.....neglect. Otherwise......great job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts