Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondeing if any of my fellow haunters might be able to direct me to find imagery of falling water that I can project as like the disney pirates ride. The ride takes you through what appears to be falling water. As another option I would like realistic fire. If anyone knows exaxtly how the disney effect is produced I would appreciate hearing.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
The fake waterfall (with Davy Jones projected on it) is made using ultrasonic misters with a laminar flow unit. Search google for "fog screen." Not easily in range of the home haunter.

I am working on a version of this effect (which will be going up instead of down, but should be relatively easily reversed) using a fog machine instead, but I don't know of another way.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
hmm...now that I think of it, if all you want is a waterfall effect and you won't project anything onto it, ground-hugging fog (ie: out of a fog chiller) released from a long, thin horizontal opening and lit with a soft blue light may give the desired effect, especially when coupled with the appropriate sound effects....

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
hmm...now that I think of it, if all you want is a waterfall effect and you won't project anything onto it, ground-hugging fog (ie: out of a fog chiller) released from a long, thin horizontal opening and lit with a soft blue light may give the desired effect, especially when coupled with the appropriate sound effects....
I can tell you that works great indoors (on a stage) but its terribly difficult to mimic outside. The slightest breeze and disturb the fog and hurt the effect.

Have you considered a looping HDV projected onto a scrim?

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
I can tell you that works great indoors (on a stage) but its terribly difficult to mimic outside. The slightest breeze and disturb the fog and hurt the effect.

Have you considered a looping HDV projected onto a scrim?
The 'trooper has a point there. This is probably the best way to go (if you can pull off a good video loop)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of using a video projector to project the moving water image onto a row of misters

·
6,359 Posts
I think it's definitely worth the experiment. Set up the misters for as fine a flow as you can get, then project.

There are several different theatrical methods, so it would help to know how you are incorporating this into your haunt. Is it interactive? Is it going to be shown over people's heads? Is it a static position in the distance?

If its interactive (i.e., people are walking through it) then definitely go with a fine mist. You might even look around and see what liquids are available as there may be something a little better than water to use. Or, if you can control the environment, some good chillers, a fine pipe, and some fog juice (maybe rosco's theatre fog).

If it's over people's heads, I would suggest a scrim projection. You can enhance the sensation with misters, but they're only there to "feel" the water.

If it's a static, distance thing, then I would run rear projection on a screen.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am interested in having people walk through the effect. I am pretty sure that the pirates of the caribean ride employs this effect as discribed. I'm hoping someone knows where I can find a clean image of moving water or fire, it may be a simple screen saver for example. Another option may be a program that I can produce a CGI (computer generated image).

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't want to cause any arguments here... but for the record the waterfall effect in Pirates of the Caribbean is NOT laminar flow. You can tell, because as a boat goes under it it temporarily causes the fog to blow different directions. Laminar flow is forced down by air flow, and would not be effected by a boat going through it (as much).
I would think that a waterfall effect could easily be created in flash, if you know how to use that program.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crazybob you seem to have taken more notice as to how this effect is accomplished. I was wondering how you would set up this effect. Do you know if flash has a free on line program.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hellow all,

I thought this might be of interest. Make sure you watch the video at the top of the DIY article. This fellow has almost done it and with very little effort it seems!

Finkbuilt Blog Archive DIY Fog Screen

I found this through someone else on this forum about a year ago... very interesting!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all for the insight. Grimsley's nudge sent me in the right direction, I just wish someone could maybe provide me with more build instruction for a working unit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you're looking to go the laminar flow route, i'd expect it would be a lot more expensive and time consuming.
It looks like disney's waterfall is just fog, from a chiller, falling down with a water image projected onto it.
Flash is not a free program. I just got the program and am still learning it, but I'll look into creating a simple water effect this week and see if I can post it on here for you.
Another thing to think about... whether you go the laminar flow route or not, you'll need a CONSTANT output fog machine, unless you can find a way to make misters work.

·
6,359 Posts
I don't want to cause any arguments here... but for the record the waterfall effect in Pirates of the Caribbean is NOT laminar flow. You can tell, because as a boat goes under it it temporarily causes the fog to blow different directions. Laminar flow is forced down by air flow, and would not be effected by a boat going through it (as much).
I would think that a waterfall effect could easily be created in flash, if you know how to use that program.
Yup, a looping clip in flash would definitely do the trick. I'd suggest 30-40 fps and at least a 10-20 second loop. You might even be able to find a SWF/HTML as part of a tutorial and just use that.

Here's one from Flash Kit: Waterfall Test

·
Registered
622 Posts
So just a thought, if it's not practical to use a constant-flow fog machine (aren't they tres expensive?), then what about 2 fog machines timed to alternate?

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
That's a good idea Grimsley. You may still have some trouble, but not as much, probably.

I'm working on the laminar flow version for my ghost coming out of the grave effect. Mine goes up instead of down, but the concept is the same. So far, I've spent about 20 bucks (straws, plywood, glue)--I don't think it has to be pricey.

I do believe that Disney uses ultrasonic misters, though. That's what all the commercial units use.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts