Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my scene childhood nightmares, they are super sized children's blocks. I finished one last night and I have 2 more to go. They will be in the scene stacked up with a skull and candles on the top. They are made from MDF and two coats of drylock. The back and bottom are open since those will not be seen and it gives me the opportunity later to hide something inside of them if I choose to.

20130910_221428.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice!

One thing - If you're using them outside, you may want to consider painting the bottom edge and maybe even the interior (if you haven't already). MDF is basically a sponge and will expand and get ugly very quickly if exposed to excess moisture (like we have here in the South).

I like the idea of leaving them open. They could even be used upsidedown as storage containers for more Halloween stuff!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the insides and the edges that will be in contact with the ground are drylocked as well. I probably should have picked a different material but I thought I would give it a shot and see what happens. I thought about putting a coat of never wet on them but I heard it breaks down in UV light outside so I didn't bother.

They are two feet on each side for scale.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Awesome!

Ya know... we speaker builder type folks use MDF for speaker enclosures. If you ever wanted to hide a subwoofer, like for thunder, that would be a great place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts