Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went to the art gallery the other day and saw a ton of fun stuff - one of our favourite pieces was this installation by an artist named Diane Landry. Anytime I see motors at work like this, I instantly start thinking about Halloween. (Can't embed these clips to save my life) today.
http://dianelandry.com/knight-of-infinite-resignation-2/

I guess what impressed me was how considered it was. The spinning illuminated bottles were cool on their own. But the shadows they projected on the wall looked very much like rising smoke or steam from a fire. The sound is a little off on the video, but when we were at the gallery, the sound the sand made as it shifted in the bottles sounded VERY much like rain, or water hitting a hot surface and sizzling. I initially thought it was prerecorded. The way it all worked together was just very cool.

Then I went and checked out the rest of her website and she uses motors in unique ways in a ton of her work. There's one where she uses a motor to make drawers on a chest violently shake. Just lots of things that made me think of different possibilities.

One of my favourite bits is at the 2 minute mark of this video. She's basically glued water bottles to the outside of a clothing hamper and used something like a reindeer motor to move a light in and out of the basket, but the effect is pretty stunning. I also like the first bit with the umbrellas.

http://vimeo.com/105024199?from=outro-embed

I'm sure her number one goal was not to provide inspiration for home haunters, but I think her work is pretty darn cool and definitely gets the mind working in different directions.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And actually the 3 minute point of that last video with the bed and the keys is also pretty haunting. And the section later on with the washing machine zoetropes are definitely a little disturbing and it likely wouldn't take much to push them over the top (although I doubt you want to fill your yard with washing machines).

·
>^..^<
797 Posts
Learning new words! I love the light and shadow in those videos. They are quite haunting, in the art sense, and I bet someone here could figure out a way to translate some of that motion to be haunting in our sense too. Very cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts