Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing something totally obvious, but the zillion tutorials for cheesecloth ghosts etc NEVER seem to say where to get the darn stuff in any decent quantity without totally breaking the bank. I've tried three fabric stores with no luck. Hardware stores sell it in such small quantities that you'd think the stuff is spun from gold. Am I missing an obvious source for the stuff?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ladygoats: I thought of that too but they sell pieces less than a square yard. Not enough to make a ghost :-(

·
Registered
14,231 Posts
Cheesecloth is used in cooking so you can always find packages of it in a grocery store. Dollar Tree will have it in their kitchen section (people posted awhile ago about finding it there). Believe I've seen it in Target's kitchen area.

Very surprised your fabric stores didn't have large bolts of it with Halloween around the corner. Starched ghosts are a common holiday project. If you are looking for quantity, a fabric store is the way to go. Did you try any web searches for cheesecloth fabric?

Here's a link to Joann's Fabric store with 3-feet packaged cheesecloth: http://www.joann.com/prym-dritz-cheese-cloth/1031590.html

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ghost of Spookie: Our fabric shops had some muslin that looked like it had loose weave but not loose enough for light to get through. I did see some online but I was surprised that it was over $7 a yard. The projects I see act as if cheesecloth is dirt cheap. Ah well. Thanks for the info!

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I totally agree, the sizes are too small to work with on the larger projects. So I bought mine on line I picked up 25 yards of 40 grade cheese cloth for $30.00 ($1.20 / yd). It is a Canadian site Hometex.ca, with the dollar exchange it would be even cheaper!! ;) I am not sure of they ship to US though....if they don't PM me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a place online that sells cheesecloth in bulk form. http://cheeseclothfabric.com has some great looking prices, $39.95 (comes out to a little over $50 after shipping) for 70 yards continuous yards! I have yet to buy some, but I'll be buying the unbleached variety due to it's used/creepy look without any staining. With that much, you can hang it all over your house and still have some left over for another year. And they sell burlap fabric as well. All sorts of cool, creepy cloth in bulk.Take a look, hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got a box of cheesecloth from cheeseclothfabric.com. With tax and shipping, total price was about $60 for 70 continuous yards of fabric. Cut off less than a foot of material, unfolded, and started to "age" the cloth for a distressed look. After some treatment with scissors and a wire brush, it took on a weathered and aged look . With 70 yards to play with, this box will last a good 3 or 4 halloweens. Cheesecloth.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts