Halloween Forum banner

241 - 260 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I’m trying really hard to remember.....maybe I should start keeping a journal of my thoughts on decks, especially since I have so many and there are literally thousands out there to choose from! I recently downloaded Libib to keep track of everything I have and I don’t want to even admit to how many I now own. It was a good exercise though, I highly recommend the app....but I digress, that’s a completely different topic ?

For the Hitchcock deck, I think it was a combination of things, which is why I couldn’t immediately remember. But after looking at the imagery on the Kickstarter page some more, it started to come back to me.

It was the price, combined with the fact that it was a collage deck, not actual art the creator painted himself. It is more like movie advertisement photos that he pulled together from various places. Which I don’t hate, per se (I can appreciate an old movie poster) but to me that really didn’t justify his price for the deck. There are true artists out there that create every single piece of art in their decks that charge less than half. Oh and add an additional $10 on top for shipping since he’s from Canada. So I think it was the ratio of value to cost that really bothered me.

I do like it, and all of his decks are the same style, but they have the same price tag. I think the other thing too that had to do with it was interpretation of the cards. I think the majors seem somewhat intuitive and not hard to understand their meanings, but the minors less so. Since I’m not an expert, I would have to refer to the guidebook, which I don’t like having to do. I love when decks have one for if and when you may need to refer to one, but this one I would have to, not by choice.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Lurker here... sooooo i gotta a question. Are some decks “better” for certain purposes. Such as, healing, health, protection, banishing etc etc. love to hear examples.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I found this thread several days ago and have been reading through all of the comments. I realy could not believe the timing of finding these posts because just a couple days prior I had the idea to look into Tarot and try it out. I have listened to a couple pod casts (road trip home after having the thought to look into it) and just ordered a set from Etsy and a couple of books. I am really excited. I tried to find a set that really spoke to me, and thought these were an awesome way to start (I love mermaids and I love anything sparkly, and these have some gold foil on the outside sides). I also like that they are a little but funky https://www.etsy.com/listing/615839263/mermaid-tarot-gold-edition-with-box-dame?ref=hp_rf-3&frs=1

SO, any words of wisdom for a total newbie??!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I’m trying really hard to remember.....maybe I should start keeping a journal of my thoughts on decks, especially since I have so many and there are literally thousands out there to choose from! I recently downloaded Libib to keep track of everything I have and I don’t want to even admit to how many I now own. It was a good exercise though, I highly recommend the app....but I digress, that’s a completely different topic ?

For the Hitchcock deck, I think it was a combination of things, which is why I couldn’t immediately remember. But after looking at the imagery on the Kickstarter page some more, it started to come back to me.

It was the price, combined with the fact that it was a collage deck, not actual art the creator painted himself. It is more like movie advertisement photos that he pulled together from various places. Which I don’t hate, per se (I can appreciate an old movie poster) but to me that really didn’t justify his price for the deck. There are true artists out there that create every single piece of art in their decks that charge less than half. Oh and add an additional $10 on top for shipping since he’s from Canada. So I think it was the ratio of value to cost that really bothered me.

I do like it, and all of his decks are the same style, but they have the same price tag. I think the other thing too that had to do with it was interpretation of the cards. I think the majors seem somewhat intuitive and not hard to understand their meanings, but the minors less so. Since I’m not an expert, I would have to refer to the guidebook, which I don’t like having to do. I love when decks have one for if and when you may need to refer to one, but this one I would have to, not by choice.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this deck. I considered the same things. I almost didn’t get it because of the poster art. But then I started considering that I have several decks, including some I paid high dollar for, where the artist did not use their own art or images. The Deck of the Bastard for instance as well as decks using art from various time periods. I’m still kind of put off that my decks from Tarot by Seven didn’t come with a little white book (LWB) and The Deck of the Dead didn’t even come with a tuck box. On Etsy the Hitchcock deck comes with a two-piece rigid box as well as a full-size, 233 page companion book. And free shipping from Canada. So $70 didn’t seem unreasonable once I started thinking about it. I will let you know what I think when it gets here next week.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Lurker here... sooooo i gotta a question. Are some decks “better” for certain purposes. Such as, healing, health, protection, banishing etc etc. love to hear examples.
Yes, various decks seem to have their own ‘specialty’. I’ve never known a way that tarot could be used directly for “protection” though. Tarot is a tool that can be used to give information that one is seeking, about yourself, a situation, what may be the best way for one to proceed, etc. They can also be used to discover more about yourself in general. They can help you grow/evolve as a person, which I suspect they were designed to do. At least in part.

I found this thread several days ago and have been reading through all of the comments. I realy could not believe the timing of finding these posts because just a couple days prior I had the idea to look into Tarot and try it out. I have listened to a couple pod casts (road trip home after having the thought to look into it) and just ordered a set from Etsy and a couple of books. I am really excited. I tried to find a set that really spoke to me, and thought these were an awesome way to start (I love mermaids and I love anything sparkly, and these have some gold foil on the outside sides). I also like that they are a little but funky https://www.etsy.com/listing/615839263/mermaid-tarot-gold-edition-with-box-dame?ref=hp_rf-3&frs=1

Welcome! I’m so glad you shared. Great to hear how excited you are. Tarot can open doors you didn’t even know were there. I’m glad you purchased a deck that you connect with. For a beginner I would say to be patient and enjoy learning about this amazing art form. At times it can seem overwhelming but hang in there and practice, practice, practice. Tarot is a journey, have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
@screamqueen2012 I completely agree with what @Wycked Spiryt said. I don’t think they’re used in the same way you’d use magic, they’re more of a tool for you to use for self reflection and guidance and I’m sure many other reasons. I can’t speak for certainty for professionals who read tarot for others, but I imagine it would be the same as individuals who use them for personal use.

I would definitely say that some decks are better suited for specific ”reasons”, just because the artwork in the cards lend themselves to a specific topic or question at hand. For instance, there are some decks out there where most of the artwork centers around love (or have images that depict love between 2 figures) such as the Victorian Romantic Tarot. I may want to use this deck if I wanted to dive into my own romantic relationships.

Or maybe if you’ve taken on a little more culinary responsibility you may want to pull out the Cook’s Tarot.

When the imagery in the cards relate to what you are bringing to the cards, I think that really helps you to read the cards and interpret their meanings better, and the better you can connect with them, the easier they are to understand.

Having said that, most decks can handle almost any topic you bring to them because the cards themselves have their own individual meanings. And for me and how I use tarot, I don’t necessarily always bring a topic or question to them before I start using them. Most of the time I just pull out the deck that I am in the mood to look at. As an example, I tend to pull out my Halloween-related or dark decks this time of the year because it’s the season.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Have you thought about making your own deck? I made a deck a few years ago for a reaper exchange.
I actually have been thinking about that a LOT lately! Since I am a web designer, I have so many thoughts and ideas for a few decks actually, but just need to get started on at least one of them. I’m a bit of a procrastinator ?

The first one I would create would definitely be a Halloween themed deck. There are a lot of “dark” decks out there that fit in the Halloween season just because they’re dark, but I’m talking like truly Halloween and they’re really aren’t that many out there.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #250

Choosing a deck that you connect with is a really great start! That particular deck is based on the traditional Rider Waite system so that’s good, as that will be easier for you if/when you start to explore other decks. I actually just recently got the Queen Alice also by Dame Darcy and have really enjoyed the deck and artwork so far. The mermaid one looks very similar in style and artwork so I have a feeling you will enjoy that one!

Being new to tarot, the only thing I would recommend to you is to start small. Meaning, don’t try to memorize all of the card meanings in a day. That will come to you the more and more you use the cards. And like @Wycked Spiryt said, just remember to enjoy the journey! ?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
I do have one more recommendation. I would continue to listen to podcasts and watch YouTube videos of various things related to tarot (such as deck comparisons, deck reviews and unboxings). I have spent a lot time doing those things myself, much more than I care to admit, but I have learned a LOT! There are so many great youtubers out there but one that I would start with is The Hermits Cave.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks for input. Being totally new to this I'm learning for sure I found a oracle deck called rhyme n reason. Poems on cards explaining meaning of the card. I’d call it a cheat sheet but a great way to learn n remember meaning. Unless oracle cards are different oh jeez just thought of that. Love the art and being an artist somewhat myself love the work on all the cards, but I agree connection vital. Some are dark to me for certain frames of mind n that would influence my mind set. The angel n demons kick starter set n that grimore. Oh wow. I've gotten several decks coming, one I really like is the bastard. Thanks for sharing so much!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Choosing a deck that you connect with is a really great start! That particular deck is based on the traditional Rider Waite system so that’s good, as that will be easier for you if/when you start to explore other decks. I actually just recently got the Queen Alice also by Dame Darcy and have really enjoyed the deck and artwork so far. The mermaid one looks very similar in style and artwork so I have a feeling you will enjoy that one!

Being new to tarot, the only thing I would recommend to you is to start small. Meaning, don’t try to memorize all of the card meanings in a day. That will come to you the more and more you use the cards. And like @Wycked Spiryt said, just remember to enjoy the journey! ?
thanks and thanks for suggestion of YouTube, that was on my to do list as well. I just started reading a book about Tarot, which I am enjoying, it's called WTF Tarot, and also got a beginner's guide book, that seems to be much more basic info about the cards and readings. And Holy Moly, the cards are a lot of info to learn/remember!! It's a little intimidating, but I appreciate the advice given here about just enjoying the journey and taking it slow.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Thanks for input. Being totally new to this I'm learning for sure I found a oracle deck called rhyme n reason. Poems on cards explaining meaning of the card. I’d call it a cheat sheet but a great way to learn n remember meaning. Unless oracle cards are different oh jeez just thought of that. Love the art and being an artist somewhat myself love the work on all the cards, but I agree connection vital. Some are dark to me for certain frames of mind n that would influence my mind set. The angel n demons kick starter set n that grimore. Oh wow. I've gotten several decks coming, one I really like is the bastard. Thanks for sharing so much!
Yes oracle cards are very different than tarot! Tarot cards are structured, regardless of the system (Rider Waite, Thoth, Lenormand, etc). By structured, I just mean the cards have a “system”, much like a regular deck of playing cards (e.g. poker cards where there are 4 suits). Rider Waite is one of the most popular systems used.

Oracle cards, on the other hand, are pretty much anything the deck creator wants them to be and are not structured. Take the Halloween Oracle as an example. Each card focuses on one thing and contains an associated word or phrase: black cat, cauldron, trick or treat, skeleton, etc. They can be used on their own, or they can also be used in conjunction with tarot to sort of enhance your reading.

And some decks don’t call themselves oracles but serve in the same way. Take this Color “oracle” as an example. It’s a set of cards with a different color on each one. Just like how aromatherapy can be healing using our sense of smell, color can be used as a healing tool using your sense of sight.

Who knew you could do so many things with a little pack of cards, right? ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you are wanting to work with certain aspects rather than divining...
If you can't find a particular deck, get creative and try picking out cards to serve that purpose. Choose cards that speak to your needs: Chariot for travel, Knights are the defenders of the suit, Temperance as a guardian angel, 8 of Swords for binding, and so on. In the past, I've mixed tarot and oracle decks and used signifier cards to get specific.

The Oracle of Black Enchantment serves well for shadow work.
If anyone knows of any rather dark decks that would work well for shadow work please share.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
omgoodness...yikes, got alot to learn....i actually bought two oracle decks, both hand made from a lady over in uk and id say one light and one darker. wrong three, the dark goddess cards are oracle, missed that one, this deck had really interesting comments on it. alright, gotta ask whats shadow work involve?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thnks again. I love the cards by steven. Just ordered the samhain deck after getting deck of the bastard. Now im up to shannigans gonna make a leather bound book probably after halloween. Found parchment book binding kit etc.. ou.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Gotta show these beautiful cards off. Not tarot but such positive oracles. Off amazon. Look at butterfly dragon combo. All just lovely with floral connection. Shadow work came up n after reading about it I saw these n thought what a lovely deck to own n give to someone needing alittle something something to help along the way.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
I can’t remember if anyone else preordered the Tarot Z but I just received both decks today from Amazon! I ordered the standard deck as well as the Limited Edition. I wasn’t sure what the differences were going to be so that’s why I ordered both. I’m a little disappointed that there isn’t much difference except for the outer box. The standard deck has a hard, 2 piece box, and the limited edition has a special 1 piece box that has inserts on the inside that hold the little guidebook on one side and the cards on the other. The box on the limited edition is nice, just because it’s not your standard tuck box or even a standard 2 piece hard box like the standard edition, but they could have (or should have) done something different with the cards, like made them bigger, or better card stock, or gilded the edges, or SOMETHING, especially since they are twice the price. But nothing seems different with them.

But aside from that, the imagery on the cards are nice. Just what you’d expect from a zombie apocalypse deck!

Here is the standard deck....

Here is the limited edition.....

241 - 260 of 310 Posts