Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was doing some spring cleaning, I came across my tarot cards that I never got around to packing away last Halloween. Yes, if you can believe it, these are for Halloween only.....not something that I use for spiritual guidance for myself or anyone else. Although, does giving a “pretend” reading count? 😂 That’s actually how I ended up with so many. A few years back, I was planning to dress up as a fortune teller and have a section in my house dedicated to that, and I would be there to give people a reading. In preparation for that, I went on a hunt to find just the right deck, and as you can see, I bought quite a few. As I got into it, I discovered some fo the cards are quite beautiful. I may end up selling off my collection some day because really, who needs this many? But I will definitely be keeping a few. I think the zombie deck is quite cheeky, and the Tarot Noir deck is just stunning.

As some of you know, I am planning to make a tarot card mobile that was seen in one of Rogers Gardens displays (photo below), and I had originally planned to use one of the Rider Waite decks since they’re the cheaper and most common that you would see, but now I’m wondering if I should choose one of the others to make it different.

Anyone else have a tarot collection?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes, I have a few decks myself. I recognize 2-3 in your picture that I own. My absolute favorite deck to use is Everyday Witch by Deborah Blake. I love the cards so much that I bought an extra set in case the cards got damaged or they stopped making them. I then bought a third set to use when making the same
7AAA34DF-061C-4518-BEFA-5D18FB58D78A.jpeg
tarot mobile you plan on making. 😁

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course now I’m gonna have to check them out, as if I need more 😂

But hold the phone, let’s address those crystal balls! I am in love with both of those stands! That jester one is fabulous! Where did you get that?

And funny enough, I can see something thru the crystal ball on the right that I have that I bought a couple months ago! It’s the cream shelf from Kirkland’s. I bought 2 to put in my bathroom. How funny!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Of course now I’m gonna have to check them out, as if I need more 😂

But hold the phone, let’s address those crystal balls! I am in love with both of those stands! That jester one is fabulous! Where did you get that?

And funny enough, I can see something thru the crystal ball on the right that I have that I bought a couple months ago! It’s the cream shelf from Kirkland’s. I bought 2 to put in my bathroom. How funny!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those two stands are going to be hard to fine. The gold one is part of a set of 4-5 that I got off eBay. The guy that sold them to me had them for quite a few years and he got them from an older couple that had them for longer. I have no idea if they were originally sold in a store or handcrafted. The jesters stand is my absolute favorite thus far. I stumbled upon that at a decor consignment shop here in Raleigh. It has since closed. 😞 But, if you are willing to do some research, you could luck out. From the label on the bottom, it appears to have been sold (perhaps designed) by this design house. Refer to the picture.

We seem to have similar tastes. The Kirkland’s shelf (though I bought mine last year), the crystal balls, the cauldrons...... just buy the darn tarot cards already! You are obviously going to love them. 😂
84423A0F-A8BF-4F40-BDFD-0BD545043B52.jpeg

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha yes, we do have similar tastes! But I think we already knew that from previous posts of things we’ve purchased or wanted to buy. I figured your stands weren’t going to be something that was readily available. But that’s ok, I can admire from afar 😁

Btw, I did check out the tarot cards and good choice to use them for your mobile. The back of the cards are pretty cool and might really make it look great! That was one of the reasons I was debating whether to use the Rider Waite deck or not because the backs of them are really nothing special, just kind of a plaid print, and you’ll be able to see the backs of the cards through the center of the mobile. I’ll probably end up using the Rider Waite deck just because I have an extra one, but we’ll see.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I’m not sure if you have to even see the back of the cards. It looks like most of them have two cards back to back, so you are always seeing the front of a card. Both cards are glued back to back in between your wire. Don’t you think?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what, you’re right! In that case, it looks like whichever deck I use, I’m probably going to need more than one deck. In fact, that mobile looks like it might be using all majors and no pips, which means even more cards needed. I’m sure using pips would be fine, but it would probably look better using all majors. What do you think?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I’ll use all the cards in the deck, but you could be right about needing two decks. Possibly three. It does look like a lot of cards in the Roger’s Garden mobile.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have a small collection -- 2 decks to be exact 😅 I have the Zombie Tarot one (I see it in your photo, awesome!) and I also have the Golden Thread Tarot deck from Labyrinthos (which is my favorite). I don't use them often, but they are for readings and just sitting pretty on my coffee table.

That tarot mobile idea sounds super awesome! Like you said, I think the Rider Waite decks would be most cost efficient, but it would also be cool to use decks you don't see too often with cool designs front and back. I'd recommend the Golden Thread deck, but it's pricey, especially considering it'll be used for a mobile.

I'm sure whatever you go with will be amazing though :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That deck looks really nice....love the monochromatic ones! I think I have one or 2 that are like that. I definitely won’t be using a deck that costs $45, especially if I’m going to need a few decks! If I had that one, it would need to stay in my collection 😁

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yes, I have a few decks myself. I recognize 2-3 in your picture that I own. My absolute favorite deck to use is Everyday Witch by Deborah Blake. I love the cards so much that I bought an extra set in case the cards got damaged or they stopped making them. I then bought a third set to use when making the same View attachment 713327 tarot mobile you plan on making. 😁
I too love your crystal balls and stands. What diameter are the crystal balls?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well @Bobbiejo I blame this purchase on you! 😂

Since I was ordering the Animal Spirit deck, I decided to pick up The Everyday Witch (as well as The Fountain Tarot) since it was cheap enough. Love it!

I highly recommend Animal Spirit for anyone who connects with nature, animals, and the elements. It’s not a tarot deck, but is a deck of animal archetypes. The author Kim Krans also has a tarot deck called The Wild Unknown, which is an equally awesome deck. It’s one of the first tarot decks I’ve ever purchased and one of the few that I’ve really connected with.

On the flip side, one that I don’t connect with at all is The Fountain tarot, which I just purchased. I wanted this deck for so long but at the time it was over $30, but now that it was closer to $20 I decided to pick it up. I can’t pinpoint what it is that I don’t like, but I don’t like them at all. I may return them.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I hope you love the Everyday Witch cards. I’m a big fan of Deborah Blake’s writing style in general and have quite a few of her books. I’ve never had a bad reading with these cards and the pictures are beautiful & whimsical. Just sit down in the morning with your favorite cup of tea or coffee and pick a card. Read the meaning behind your card selection. Do this for a week or two to see how you like them.

I’m going to leave my mobile stationary. I’m not a frequent crafter, so it’s best to start with minimal expectations. 😂

·
Registered
865 Posts
I also just received the spinning mechanism for the tarot mobile I will be making. Getting closer to crafting time! 😁

View attachment 713467
I love the Animal Spirit deck. Another favorite is the Book of Azathoth Tarot Cards. It's a high-quality deck and perfect for anyone in Lovecraftian themes.

Cool that your spinning mechanism arrived. Is there a tutorial on how to make the mobile?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope you love the Everyday Witch cards. I’m a big fan of Deborah Blake’s writing style in general and have quite a few of her books. I’ve never had a bad reading with these cards and the pictures are beautiful & whimsical. Just sit down in the morning with your favorite cup of tea or coffee and pick a card. Read the meaning behind your card selection. Do this for a week or two to see how you like them.

I’m going to leave my mobile stationary. I’m not a frequent crafter, so it’s best to start with minimal expectations. 😂

I don’t craft that much either, but I try to during Halloween for the Secret Reaper exchanges. Making the tarot mobile was actually one of the things I was contemplating making for that, especially since there are so many that list “witchy” items as an interest. But I need to make mine first to see how it goes. However I craft it, I’m hoping I can make it portable so it would be easy to ship.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the Animal Spirit deck. Another favorite is the Book of Azathoth Tarot Cards. It's a high-quality deck and perfect for anyone in Lovecraftian themes.

Cool that your spinning mechanism arrived. Is there a tutorial on how to make the mobile?

Oh yeah, I have that deck as well! I don’t open it often, but it’s in my collection.

And no tutorial for the mobile. We are just basing it off the photo that I posted above in my first post....it came from Rogers Gardens. I don’t know what year they had it in their display, but that’s where it came from. The people who work there handcraft most of their displays, which are just stunning! I admire their creativity, and wish there was one here in my state so I could admire in person.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found bug ornaments from a maker called Morawski. The wasp (or whatever it is) does look slightly different, as well as the bat, but are very similar. I wonder if they’re earlier/later versions, or if they are by a different maker altogether?

It appears Morawski operates similar to Katherine’s Collection where you have to find a store or boutique that carries them, because I couldn’t find much other then a few small dealers. Makes sense I guess since they are from Poland. But on their main website, you can at least browse what they’ve made....

http://www.morawski-ornaments.eu/bugs-a-insects.html

1 - 20 of 270 Posts