Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun setting up some of my props in the yard...was busy working on the arches for too long (just can't get the stone texturing right on them...going with what I have for this year...will improve it for next year).

(just for reference, the peaks of those arches are 10' above the ground - 6 foot columns, and 4 foot arches. Columns are a purchase, arches are hand made)

I'll be adding some tombstones, a couple full Buckies and my suspended skelly-ghost in the next couple of days...will add more pics then (hopefully less blurry ones).

Daytime shot:

And some night-time shots (sorry for the blur):

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Ugly Joe, simply Stunning, I just LOVE those arches you built, you can drop those by my place when you're done with them this year, or hell just build me a set and feel free to send them my way,lol;) Wicked display!, thanks so much for sharing your creative talent:)

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!!
I will have more added tomorrow, and a bit more during the week, so hopefully it'll look a bit more Halloween-ish as the week wears on.

**sigh**
Those arches were so amazing in my mind's eye, but just don't measure up to what I imagined.
Thankfully, I have a year to improve them!

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments, everyone...next year, if I can help it, those arches will be larger and a bit more ornate.
It helps that we have a new Home Depot opening up (on Halloween) a couple of miles from my house - I know where I'll be spending all my time and money.

And the scarecrow? Hehe...it's 3 years old now, and is outside in the elements all year long in my backyard (strapped to the side of my shed) - makes for some wonderful weathering! I have a nice warm spot in my cold heart for that one...glad you like it! Thank you!

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
I don't see any problems with your columns and arches, but I know what it's like to have a vision in mind and you just don't see it yet. Nice lighting too.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Oh Wow! love the Gothic pillars and arches, especially the night shots....the lighting gives it a very eerie effect.....very impressive indeed!:)

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
The arches turned out great Joe!! LOVE the pumpkin face too! Beautiful gardens too....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The arches are impressive. Very nice work. Yeah, I know about the vision thing. I'm having some trouble pulling my yard together and I ended up doing some real shoddy work to help get my theme across. Even though the theme seems obvious to me, people aren't totally getting it. But again, your arches with the lighting and the scarecrow are very impressive.

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much for all the kind words - it means a lot, as practically zero neighbors of mine have decorated for Halloween (the exception being the "castle" down the road...but then, his place is Halloween in and of itself all year long...gargoyles and everything!)

I managed to suspend my skelly-ghost this evening, but it really needs some lighting to make it "pop" at night (right now, all one might notice is the two glowing red eyes hovering in the night sky...at which point, one may then see the rest of the skeletal skull, torso and arms attached to said eyes...mournfully drifting over the remains of the church in which it had found it's final resting place...which is really what I want to make those arches look like)

Should have some pics tomorrow night. Lots of lighting to do...whee

1 - 20 of 26 Posts