Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, while I still and always loooove love love Halloween, I have been a little lack luster in thinking if will we have a party this year, and if so, what will the theme be, etc. While some of that is not related to COVID, I also wondered how many folks would even entertain the idea of an indoor party.....

So, today while just randomly browsing pinterest it hit me - HAUNTED TIKI ROOM!! We could hold it partly in one side of our garage and then hopefully at bottom of our driveway, with some kind of covering to keep the driveway portion possible regardless of weather. As soon as I had this idea I felt that spark of excitement and happiness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had been kind of wondering where that part of my Halloween love had gone so was thrilled for this surge :)

Haven't decided yet if it will be adults only (ours usually is, though our kiddo stays for a couple hours and then leaves with a family member), or making it open where people can bring their kiddos - somehow an outdoor party seems more kid friendly to me than having little kids roaming about our house - most of our friends and neighbors have kids age 8 and younger.

I know there is (or usually is) another thread for everyone's current theme, but feel free to comment about your event/party, or if you have done a similar theme to this one, would love to see/hear!!! I am a big DIYer (when no electricity components are involved).
Also looking for firsthand ideas about reasonable priced ways to cover the driveway (we have used tent canopies for beach trips that are about 10ftx10ft, but would need something much large either to buy or DIY that can withstand rain, wind, and not cost an arm and a leg.....

Sorry for the long and random post - I am just so excited now and wanted to share!!!!!!!!! Maybe other folks have been filling a little more disconnected from their Halloween planning than in years past??

Happy Spooking, everyone!!!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That sounds awesome! I've already pulled the plug on my party - was going to do full on Disney, but hopefully in 2021!

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Tiki anything is fun. It's a great feeling when you land on a theme you really feel motivated to do and have fun with. There are some past haunted tiki parties and haunt themes on here so do a search if you are looking for ideas. Congrats on chosing your theme! Now you have something to work towards too and for many of us during this time with covid it's great to have something fun and positive to focus on.

As for the tent material you might also consider renting it from a party/wedding supply company and see how it prices out for space especially if you don't want to own and store one.

I've never bought from Wish but saw this online and maybe something like this would work out for you. Think about whether your area gets strong winds at that time of year. 10'x20' heavy duty wedding party tent

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds awesome! I've already pulled the plug on my party - was going to do full on Disney, but hopefully in 2021!
ooooh, a disney halloween party is on my halloween bucket list!! Just think - not doing it this year means more time for planning, creation, and budgeting (that's how my brain works mostly, anyway)

Who knows if we will actually execute this or not, while I am optimistic, it really depends on first finding an affordable solution to cover our driveway because I am NOT inclined to make our garage fully in the state to be the only party area.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tiki anything is fun. It's a great feeling when you land on a theme you really feel motivated to do and have fun with. There are some past haunted tiki parties and haunt themes on here so do a search if you are looking for ideas. Congrats on chosing your theme! Now you have something to work towards too and for many of us during this time with covid it's great to have something fun and positive to focus on.

As for the tent material you might also consider renting it from a party/wedding supply company and see how it prices out for space especially if you don't want to own and store one.

I've never bought from Wish but saw this online and maybe something like this would work out for you. Think about whether your area gets strong winds at that time of year. 10'x20' heavy duty wedding party tent
thanks for understanding the satisfaction of picking a theme and feeling motived and having something fun to focus on - you hit all of that on the head.

I was going to look into the rental aspect, as well as a possible DIY with polycarbonate , because I may be able to re use that for our backyard VS one time use.....who knows! I will start poking around with that in the next couple of weeks. That wish item may work also, thanks!!

I was going to search the page for sure - I recall someone doing this theme that I have seen in years past, so will do some proper digging for that. I always love seeing people's creations, so fun.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts

Have you used wish.com before?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s always great when that Halloween spark in charged back up. I’ve often thought about a tiki haunt so post pics after the big event.
Yes, you descibed that feeling well !

Every year we have a party we work out butts off and then I am always scrambling towards the end to take photos and then ask party goers for theirs weeks later . DETERMINED to be better about that this year!!!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Wish adds shipping. You can get that exact same thing for the same price with free shipping from a U.S. seller on ebay. Be careful with it and you can sell it for the same price Nov. 1 on local Facebook groups. That's what we do.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
@Glitterati love love love your theme! And with summer winding down, I bet there’s tons of items you could get for theme. Brightly painted jack-o-lanterns with those straw beachcomber hats could be fun. Skeletons in grass skirts and leis and coconut bras would be hysterical. Skeleton pig? Kalua pork on the brain. I’m sure you could easily fashion some twig and straw huts out of PVC. Add a couple zombie flamingoes and you’re in business! So fun! Be sure to post pictures!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Okay such a fun theme!!!

weird Memory, but aren’t there pop up carports? I’d imagine those are larger, although maybe too pricey?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haven't decided yet if it will be adults only (ours usually is, though our kiddo stays for a couple hours and then leaves with a family member), or making it open where people can bring their kiddos - somehow an outdoor party seems more kid friendly to me than having little kids roaming about our house - most of our friends and neighbors have kids age 8 and younger.
Good luck with your Tiki party!

If you haven't already, I would watch the classic tiki episode of Scooby Doo for inspiration on decoration and color. We used to play the witchdoctor's warning ("...leave at once or face his vengeance!") in between songs (along with other sounds from Scooby Doo and classic horror movies).

This will be the first year we aren't having our Annual Halloween Spooktacular (after 14 years straight), but we always invited kids and adults. The secret is to have something for everyone to do. We had an elaborate "haunted trail" around the backyard, a carefully curated Halloween-music playlist, all manner of food and drink, and two fire pits for marshmallows and s'mores. Plus everything was decorated (even the inside of our powder-room medicine cabinet).

A big key to our success was several notes in the invitation (and in all follow-up emails) that warned parents there would be loosely supervised alcohol, so we could not allow any of our friends kids to come without an adult responsible for them. A lot of adults who told us they were dreading bringing their kid(s) ended up having more fun than the kid(s) did. We also put a note that said we would be putting our kids to bed around 10 p.m., which was a good signal to the other parents about not keeping their kids out too late.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,833 Posts
WE LOVE TIKI in our house! Sadly, I've never done a tiki theme though. I do have several cement Moai heads & 2 other larger cement tikis outside that I "dress up" for each holiday. I'm getting out their July 4th outfits today!

Here's some other threads from the past that others have done:

If you just search "tiki" or "hulaween" you'll find many more helpful threads here. The great thing about tiki is it can cross over into pirate, voodoo, beach theme in general, so search for that stuff too.

Here are some of our fave tiki artists, most aren't traditional tiki things either:

Shag
http://www.shag.com/

Tiki Farm
Tiki Farm - Celebrating 20 years!

Crazy Al
Tikis and Hawaiana

Munktiki
http://www.munktiki.com/

Bosko
Tikibosko

Gecko's South Seas Art
Tiki Mugs and Authentic Polynesian Art -

Doug Horne

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, while I still and always loooove love love Halloween, I have been a little lack luster in thinking if will we have a party this year, and if so, what will the theme be, etc. While some of that is not related to COVID, I also wondered how many folks would even entertain the idea of an indoor party.....

So, today while just randomly browsing pinterest it hit me - HAUNTED TIKI ROOM!! We could hold it partly in one side of our garage and then hopefully at bottom of our driveway, with some kind of covering to keep the driveway portion possible regardless of weather. As soon as I had this idea I felt that spark of excitement and happiness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had been kind of wondering where that part of my Halloween love had gone so was thrilled for this surge :)

I know there is (or usually is) another thread for everyone's current theme, but feel free to comment about your event/party, or if you have done a similar theme to this one, would love to see/hear!!! I am a big DIYer (when no electricity components are involved).
Also looking for firsthand ideas about reasonable priced ways to cover the driveway (we have used tent canopies for beach trips that are about 10ftx10ft, but would need something much large either to buy or DIY that can withstand rain, wind, and not cost an arm and a leg.....

Sorry for the long and random post - I am just so excited now and wanted to share!!!!!!!!! Maybe other folks have been filling a little more disconnected from their Halloween planning than in years past??

It's good to hear from someone so excited about their theme, I have been trying to be optimistic about this year and have been working on my haunted mansion b&b theme since January . I don't like to do the same theme two years in a row and was all excited about this year being a Sat. but when it gets closer to halloween and if things don't look any better then I will probably save all the new stuff for 2021 and bring back one of my old themes as a plan B, just in case no one shows up. I am having fun regardless and will continue to search out that next great halloween item that I just have to have or to make.
The tiki theme sounds very cool and I see many great ideas posted here for you to check out, good luck and have fun!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

You can use plastic pvc pipe and tarp. Look up tutorials on You Tube.Happy Haunting !

7 Posts
I love that idea. I usually don't do any big parties for Halloween, I just invite a few friends over and that's it. I was going to do a circus theme this year, and I had some really good ideas. I'm a little bummed out because I might not be able to do it this year because of COVID, and even if I do I don't think anyone will show up.

That being said, I love your idea and I wish you the best of luck for your party!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey GLITTERATI- I am so with you on the blah feeling this year. But I also JUST got my mojo back over the weekend. Not sure exactly WHAT made me change my mind... I had been going back and forth, "will we even get any trick or treaters... ?" And "Will people even come to the party?" But I finally said, "Screw it... I love Halloween, Let's do this!" Since the entire themed production is my actual hobby, I am gonna go ahead with our Haunted Hollywood Theme for 2020- It sounds like you are like me and love creating something different and special every year (I am behind though- as I usually starting work in March!)

With thrift stores closed and garage sales on hold...my typical searching and hunting and gathering is also on hold. But alas, I have decided we will move forward, even if it means our party is tiny. That is okay. The fun is in the creation and the set up, and enjoying my props with my teen kids.

All that aside, RCRAIG's links are fabulous (thanks for throwing in my previous Voodoo Hulaween Party at Our Voodoo Island Hulaween was a success!

They are dead on with all the links, muntiki, Doug Horne, etc. All great resources and with loads of ideas. I love Love LOVE Doug Horne, and used Block Posters to print some of his artwork and hang in our tiki room, I made frames out of cheap bamboo and raffia. I used these in my "underwater theme" room, by placing a fire and ice blue and green type light pointed at the ceiling to make it feel like you were under the sea. Another great resource is OCEANIC ARTS a cool store in Whittier CA.

What I WISH I had purchased for this theme:
Life-Size Original Mermaid Skeleton Halloween Decoration | Oriental Trading Oh well, at least maybe you can get it? It's priced high right now tough. I think I saw it for like $60 before.

One of my favorite things we did was build a 4 foot tall working volcano from chicken wire and paper mache. Put a fogger inside, with one of those red fire and ice spinning lights and the result was the main attraction. It was on a remote control so everyone got a chance to play with it. That was fun. I am currently trying to upload video onto my You Tube Channel. I'll edit this post once it is done.

Don't forget the TIKI TORCHES- A super cheap way to add that Hawaiian Vibe. Just be careful if you're using real fire, right?

We also used our Creature from the Black Lagoon prop in a mylar-created pond to look like he was at the base of the volcano - People loved it.

We also created a super fun glow in the dark blacklight MERMAID AQUARIUM display. We hung boney fish and jellyfish and boney mermaids from the ceiling, turned on a fan to blow things around and had crepe-like white fabrics dangling in between. Really looked cool. It was inside our laundry room which has a glass door. We made fake coral out of Great Stuff Foam and Sea Urchins out of foam balls and straws, then painted everything with high quality Blacklight Theatrical paints. It really POPPED under the lighting.

I recreated Disney Tiki Room Drumming Monkeys on cardboard and hung those up in the corners of our tiki room display. IN the dark my bad art skills weren't so noticeable. Ha!

Lots and lots of Headhunter props, shrunken heads, Fish Nets, Seaweed (fake of course, there are lots of cheap ways to make seaweed) and an automatic bubble machine add a fun Under The Sea/Tiki vibe too.

Cool Exotica music like Martin Denny or Les Baxter (where they add a lot of jungle bird sounds) are another great element to bring people to the tiki feeling you are going for. You can find playlists on Spotify.

For your driveway tent, I suggest using palapa thatching around the roof line to look like a real "hut" or you can buy a bunch of the hula skirts at the dollar store and hang those around the roofline (may be a cheaper way to go).... Go soon though- They're about to swap out their LUAU stuff, as the season changes.

Would love to see your photos once done!

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts