Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on ideas for our garage haunt this year (3rd year - yay!) and I like to have a good scare for the final room. I'm thinking of a morgue set up with sheet covered bodies some with haunt actors and an animated prop but feel like I could do one better. I'm trying to avoid gore and PLEASE don't suggest chainsaws!

Any ideas welcome.

·
Registered
20,817 Posts
A simple scream when unexpected can work wonders... What I like to do when on a hayride is wait until the end when nothing is happening, then yell like nobody's business, which winds up catching many off-guard. The same could be applied here; have the morgue very much occupied and in almost total darkness, with a couple of bodies sitting up and shrieking at the patrons as they rise from a prone position.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Maybe some misdirection??? Maybe set up a body under a sheet or other obvious jump scare. As you victims warily pass by the obvious- have something else pop up. One of my most successful scares was when I made myself look like a not-very-well-executed dummy with cardboard and duct tape sticking out at all the wrong places. No one expected it when I jumped at them because they were looking for a more obvious scare.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We are doing something similar only with shrouded bodies standing up (similar to Insidious 2), at least 2 will be live actors. We have already made 15 of the shrouds. We are also going to add whispering voices in the back ground and lots of decaying flesh Froggy's Fog scents. The room will be quite crowded with the bodies, so victims have to weave around them, in quite close. Maybe something like that would work??

Funny about the cliché "chainsaw", personally I do not care for them at all, but at my hubby's insistence we added one last season because they scare the crap out of teenagers/young adults. For whatever reason they seem to just love them, and I can honestly say we had a ton of great scares with it. Much to my dismay... :) :)

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
We had a closed rusty door they had to push open themselves to exit the haunt. A lot of people were terrified to open the door for fear it was a trap and other thought it was over when they opened it and nothing happened. The doorway lead to an undecorated short hall with only a plain exit sign on the wall. People were relived because they thought it was all over and so they let their guard down. Hee hee hee . . . we had two guys with pipe wrenches suddenly start banging on two empty fifty-five gallon metal barrels on either side of the hallway. Boy you should've listened to them scream!!! Lololol. I swear one guy jumped six feet in the air and many people pee their pants instantly. Lol. Good thing the hallway was built on a dirt floor! Lolololol.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I put a strong electric motor inside of a huge steel drum. i fastened some thick steel chains to the pulley that was on the end of the motor's shaft. When activated by 120 volts the motor turned very quickly making THE GAWD-AWFULEST LOUD Ratatatat! noise which was the sound defects for my World War One, Maxim machine gun I made from tin pipe. Having the motor inside of the barrel made it safer for" when" (Not "IF") the bolts let loose and steel parts would fly.
History:The Maxim machine gun killed more people than all the bombs dropped in WW2? I think that was what I read years ago, i was surprised.
The steel barrel I used is maybe 8 feet tall by 5 feet in diameter? It can hold 12 adults, I use it for something else here now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow those sounds would be crazy scary! Don't think I could charge them as they leave that's just too horrible! The final room will be about 12' x 15'. I also really like the idea of making them walk around multiple covered bodies, definitely would add to the scare. Thanks again - great to have the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts