Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that subject line is as clear as mud. What I need are ideas for creating a chest cavity (unseen by anyone) underneath a shirt on my pvc armatures so that the clothing/shirt "hangs" correctly.

It doesn't need to be realistic or anything. Just needs to fill the chest void space area.

Easy and cheap are paramount if possible!

Thanks in advance!

Scarab

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,521 Posts
I think I understand what you're looking for, and the easiest and most cost effective way I can think of is chicken wire. It's very easy to cut and form into the size or "fullness" you need. Just be careful of poking yourself with the sharp edges after cutting. If you use chicken wire also pick up some thin gauge wire to help keep it in the form you're looking for.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I understand what you're looking for, and the easiest and most cost effective way I can think of is chicken wire. It's very easy to cut and form into the size or "fullness" you need. Just be careful of poking yourself with the sharp edges after cutting. If you use chicken wire also pick up some thin gauge wire to help keep it in the form you're looking for.
I have a single pvc "spine". How would I secure the chest-shaped chicken wire to the center pvc?

Scarab

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,521 Posts
I have a single pvc "spine". How would I secure the chest-shaped chicken wire to the center pvc?

Scarab
I form the chicken wire around the PVC, or poke the PVC through holes in the wire. Where the ends meet, I've used wire to hold it together. It's worked quite well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chicken wire is probably your best bet, but you may find that using other stuff as well as the chicken wire gets you the best result. I have used pieces of rigid foam to create rounded shoulders and even the 3/4” flexible irrigation tubing (and have even seen people use a piece of old garden hose) to create a proper chest. I have used wide pan-head sheet metal screws to mount the chicken wire or tubing to pvc pipes.

·
Registered
679 Posts
What I do is order these and just zip tie them to our frames. They work out well and dont cost very much. I have both the female and male styles. When I put them away each year i no longer have to worry about chicken wire getting tangled up on things. They are a hard plastic and extremely durable.

Here is a link to where I get them from.

https://www.storesupply.com/c-602-fashion-forms.aspx

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I do is order these and just zip tie them to our frames. They work out well and dont cost very much. I have both the female and male styles. When I put them away each year i no longer have to worry about chicken wire getting tangled up on things. They are a hard plastic and extremely durable.

View attachment 713082

These are a GREAT idea and CHEAP! I'm going to try it!

Scarab

·
Registered
11 Posts

View attachment 713082

Thank you for this link! The toddler form looks like it's going to save me a lot of time putting together my creepy toy box this year. You have made my day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
But those are half form, correct? Just be aware if seen from behind the clothing will sink in to it. You will need to flesh out the back with something. But still, those are great prices even if they are half forms.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

View attachment 713082

This is genuis....thank u so much for sharing

·
Registered
679 Posts
But those are half form, correct? Just be aware if seen from behind the clothing will sink in to it. You will need to flesh out the back with something. But still, those are great prices even if they are half forms.
Yes those are half forms. What I have done is take foam board and glued it to the back of them once i set them on my PVC frames to fill out the back as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like you have some good options but FWIW I've had good success with gallon milk jugs. Upside down and put the pvc through them. They fill in the chest and shoulders great under clothing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
anyway you could post some pics of work so I can see what you did?

Thank you in advance!

Scarab
I finished him up already. I didnt take any pics of the chicken wire unfortunately. It was super easy to do tho!! I just used snips to cut the piece, and it forms rather easily. I really didn't plan to form it like a rib cage, it just happened so I went with it. I did wear a thick pair of leather gloves. I just zip tipped it to the X piece to insure no slippage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts