Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out an easy and awesome looking method yet? Chicken wire sucks, pool noodles aren't enough, newspaper gets wet, bags are lumpy looking. Someone has to have found a way in 2021 lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Has anyone figured out an easy and awesome looking method yet? Chicken wire sucks, pool noodles aren't enough, newspaper gets wet, bags are lumpy looking. Someone has to have found a way in 2021 lol
I use 4" black drain tile to form the shoulders and arms, and then fold a piece of chicken wire over the shoulders and connect at the sides to make the body -

Light Black Sculpture Statue Waist

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
To fill out a chest area I bought a few of these foam kickboards from Dollar Tree a few years ago when they had summer pool toys and such. Made from the same stuff pool noodles are made from so rain wouldn’t be a problem. figured I could zip tie them onto the body structure. These had a natural curvature in the middle to them that I thought would make for a chest shape underneath prop clothing.

Product Terrestrial plant Plant Font Grass

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will usually grab a yoga mat (there are different thicknesses you can choose from depending how bulky of a look you want) fold in half and cut a hole in the center of the fold big enough for the head support to go through. Do some minor trimming if needed with scissors. Now I have both a chest and back. I then use duct tape to attach back to front.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I don't know what happened to the prices on these, but I really like using these things. You have to cut them to fit around PVC but they are a plastic that can be drilled or snipped easily enough. I used to be able to buy these for under $15 each (got 3 for $9 each once). Sometimes you see them on Craigslist, too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bubble wrap. Most places sell it on rolls, or I always save mine from deliveries. Roll it around the limb/body etc. Tape it in place with packing tape. Weighs nearly nothing and can be layered as much as desired. Doesn't look lumpy or fake. Easy to modify, add, remove, etc...
You can? I tried using this a few years ago got stuff something and I had to deal with some wicked mold that grew inside due to the rain

·
Registered
497 Posts
What doesn't work -
A painted, wood scare crow my father made in his craft years of retirement.
Jointed and dressed in old flannel shirt, jeans with a rope belt and old sneakers.
I stuffed him with a plastic bag holding the foam peanuts, that I had saved from packages.
Eventually, animals, rain and wind and the lawn was covered with foam peanuts.
Great exercise, chasing after them and good way to meet neighbors as you walk across their lawns, collecting the pcs!! LOL
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
108 Posts
What doesn't work -
Jointed and dressed in old flannel shirt, jeans with a rope belt and old sneakers.
I stuffed him with a plastic bag holding the foam peanuts, that I had saved from packages.
Great exercise, chasing after them and good way to meet neighbors as you walk across their lawns, collecting the pcs!! LOL
Jerseyscare
I hate those foam peanuts...
Anytime I open a package with them I sigh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know what happened to the prices on these, but I really like using these things. You have to cut them to fit around PVC but they are a plastic that can be drilled or snipped easily enough. I used to be able to buy these for under $15 each (got 3 for $9 each once). Sometimes you see them on Craigslist, too.

Hi there, a while back someone used to cover the inside with Saran Wrap then use spray foam to make duplicate bodies. The end result looked pretty good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used the thin foam packing material that people use in packages to protect things like metal parts. Doesn't absorb water, packs well. Looks great on my werewolf.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What doesn't work -
Jerseyscare
Any nj make n takes anymore?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Halloweenjerseyguy,
I never made any of the Hauntforum make n takes, I lurked and followed their threads.
As an outsider, I think as it got successful, it got more difficult for them to agree on builds and meeting dates/times/places.
Also, with you tubes posted, it became easier to build to your own schedule and re-watch as needed. Also, my lurking and time as a member, I 've watched, newbie excitement go to experienced tired home haunter and then gone.
This is also true with the conventions, excited to attend, cant' wait to go back, to its the same everyyear, not going. IMO
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
215 Posts
i know you say pool noodles aren't enough, if all you are doing is sticking them on for legs and arms, you're right but you can use strips of them to build up a chest area. I posted a project that i just did this on

Sculpture Art Mythical creature Headgear Wood

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have water to get a full size mannequin to use as a mold to produce body parts out of paper mace or monster mud. Thin ( less than a inch thick) and light weight. Chest plate, back plate, bicep plate, tricep plate, both sides of the forearm, same for thighs and calves. Attach these to the PVC armature with long bolts to threaded stock rod. Since all of the body pieces are uniform. they would nest for storage (as would the PVC parts) for compact storage. Love to post and example but I still need a full size mannequin to use as my model/base. Love to buy one cheap or borrow one from a retailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts