Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several people recently asking about how to "flesh" out their bodies. I decided to build another swaying zombie for our yard since I had a head and hands laying in the shop and I thought I'd show off some quick and easy ways I like to use for filling them out. It's pretty easy and inexpensive.

Being our zombie has straight legs, the pool noodles are fine if the pants lay against them since you just want them to have a little shape. These pool noodles are made by www.swimways.com. they are nice because they are about 4 inches in diameter and fit nicely over the 1 inch PVC. I buy them at a local pool supply store. I also use them for the arms. I use a wide razor blade to shave the corners to get rid of any hard edges that will be seen through the clothing. You can also use bubble wrap taped to and wrapped around the limbs to get the same effect.

The torso is made out of steel hardware cloth which has 1/4" (holes) available at Lowes or Home Depot in the garden section. It it easy to cut and shape but can be very sharp. I suggest wearing gloves and eye protection. This torso was cut from one piece of material and it fastened to the frame and itself with nylon wire ties. Get some duct tape! Once you are done shaping everything use the duct tape to smooth any uneven surfaces and also to cover the edges of the cut mesh to keep you from getting cut and it also allows you to get the clothes on and off easier. We will go back over this and use it to fill in the spaces around the shoulder and elbows as well.

One other little trick I have found is to use a lightweight long sleeved jersey under your outer wear. It again smooths the lines, fills gaps, and in the case of our zombies, keeps the shirt from bunching up as the prop moves. :)

Enjoy and happy building!

Ryan

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great job, Ryan.
Thanks.
I'd like to have several pair of those hands lying around my shop. :)
Thanks. I actually bought them for another prop and they just weren't a good match. I happened to have this head that I robbed from a grave grabber I built several years ago and they turned out to work well together.

The hands are from Ghost Ride Productions.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the tips with pictures and links Ryan! Very timely, as I will be filling out my Spider Hill Prop Work kits in earnest this weekend!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the basic shape of the torso cut from a single piece of material. I would advise making it a little larger and the trimming it down as you install it. I made mine a little shorter because this is an animated prop. With a static Figure you can just make it a little longer.

image.jpg

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is one idea for the waist section and how I actually built my first swaying zombie before we had the kit. I'd use plywood and cut it out with a jigsaw. This will allow you to easily drill through or staple to it as needed when finishing your prop. The sizes are approx. Make the center hole large enough to slide down over your spine. Use the small holes in the middle to run some screws into your hips to keep it in place. You can space it above the hips with blocks of wood if needed. This will give you something good and sturdy to hang your pants on. :)

Edit - The Dimensions on the picture are 15 inches wide by 9 inches deep.

Waist Hoop.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was going the trash bag filled with newspaper hanging down their chest, but just don't like how the material is hanging around the legs and waist. Instead of using plywood (since I don't have a lot of tools - still have a drill I borrowed from FIL a year ago :eek: ) I may try and use the hardware cloth in the same manner for these static props I'm doing. Just to give some shape in the hip area so the robes drape more outwardly and not sag inward - if that makes sense?

The frames are from Diabolik -Spiderhill. Love em!

Plauges.jpg

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm not doing zombies but will be buying from spider hill for next years swaying drunkin pirate. The customer service I see from them here is the reason I will use them and support a great quality product. Can't wait to start building for next year.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I use the big rolls of bubble wrap the UHaul sells. It's cheap, light, waterproof, and you can vary how thick different parts of the arms, legs, torso, etc, are by using more or less of it.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going the trash bag filled with newspaper hanging down their chest, but just don't like how the material is hanging around the legs and waist. Instead of using plywood (since I don't have a lot of tools - still have a drill I borrowed from FIL a year ago :eek: ) I may try and use the hardware cloth in the same manner for these static props I'm doing. Just to give some shape in the hip area so the robes drape more outwardly and not sag inward - if that makes sense?

The frames are from Diabolik -Spiderhill. Love em!

View attachment 225976
SM, I am certain you could craft some waists for those little guys out of the hardware cloth. If you bend it down all around the edges it will make the plate a bit more rigid. I am glad the frames worked out for you. I can see that you were able to get the arms posed a bit more naturally. Building the little TOT sized kits are one of my favorites.

I'm not doing zombies but will be buying from spider hill for next years swaying drunkin pirate. The customer service I see from them here is the reason I will use them and support a great quality product. Can't wait to start building for next year.
Thank you Danski, if it wasn't for the support of the folks here, Spider Hill would not be. There are a lot of great folks here I have had the pleasure of dealing with (and meeting) so I am more than happy to help where I can. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ryan, thanks so much for the hip tip and measurements. No more falling pants on my Phantoms!

*adding plywood to my Lowe's shopping list for this Saturday, and hoping they'll still have the bigger noodles too!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where did you get the arms? Those are so cool looking.
Are you talking about the zombie's hands? They are from Ghost Ride Productions. I believe they are called Ghoul Hands. I love their stuff.

The joints used to attach the arms are ours. You can click the link in my signature to see them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts