Halloween Forum banner

Filament or Fishing Line?

174 4
Hi! I’m thinking about spooling out and retracting line to change the position of a prop (probably weighing less than two lbs.). What type of line would you folks recommend for low visibility, strength, and well-behaved spooling? Also, has anyone played around with measuring how much line has been spooled out so it can be tracked by the prop’s controller?

Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’ve started on a prop for next year using braided fishing line and two of these motors with rotary encoders. In theory I can use an Arduino to count rotations to position the prop anywhere in a vertical 2D space. The counter seems a bit wonky in my initial trials, though.
Auto part Tool Cylinder Gas Electronics accessory

I use a braided line like this one.
Font Tints and shades Rectangle Gas Circle

Some of it is rated for 160lbs.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In theory I can use an Arduino to count rotations to position the prop anywhere in a vertical 2D space. The counter seems a bit wonky in my initial trials, though.
Thanks for your reply. I’m curious what you’ve found to be unsatisfactory in your initial rotation counter trials. Is this the rotary encoder you mentioned, or is it more like a switch that closes with each revolution?

I’d like to be fairly precise about how much line has been spooled out. Since the deployed length per rotation changes as the spool gains and releases line, I’m looking for ideas for using a rotary encoder on a separate tensioned idle wheel to track how much line has been dispensed... possibly in conjunction with a detectable marker on the line to signal the controller when it’s actually back at 0 inches (to correct for accumulated encoder error).

Additional suggestions for accurately measuring deployed line length, and what line to use, are welcome.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
109 Posts
This motor attaches to a 6cm wheel, so each rotation is about 9cm. The rotary encoder sends a high (5v) signal for part of the rotation and a low (0V) signal for the rest of the rotation. The arduino was able to read the high and low easily enough, but the transitions were a bit tough to count. It seemed like there was some “stuttering” at the margins that made counting difficult. I need to play with my coding a bit more to see if I can compensate.

I’m not sure how well a separate idle wheel would work. The braided fishing line I use is pretty slippery. But some people do use it for an axworthy ghost, so perhaps doable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts