Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We only had 55 this year- an 8 year low. Our TOT was on Thursday- so weather wasn't a factor. It was clear and calm. We are rural- and for the first time, we got no car-loads, tractor wagons, or ATV TOTs. I hope Trick-or-Treat isn't slowly fading away. Anybody else get less kids than expected?

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
We had 64 I think down from 84 last year. Perfect weather, Friday night, still fewer kids.

My wife has a theory that if it's cold (but not TOO cold) the parents will take the kids out in cars, and since they're driving anyway, they'll take the time to stop at the houses that are really decorated. But since the weather was warm, the kids were more likely just to head out on their own and wander their own neighbourhoods and just hit every house on their street.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
If you look at the other recent ToT count threads,it seems that overall,the ToT counts were down this year. My own count was down nearly 2/3 this year, around 150 down from nearly 400 last year.

Some are blaming it on friday, assuming there were a lot of parties Halloween night. That very well could be true, since older teens were almost completely absent at my yard haunt. Others are blaming trunk-or-treat and other alternative events, though I can't imagine kids not fighting tooth and nail to enjoy multiple candy collection events.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It seemed a wee bit light this year which is ironic being that it was on a Friday

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My Son took his Son out and there were very few houses with a light "On". I had to point out to my Son that since he was a kid, most of these houses now have different people in them and the previous citizens are gone or in the nursing home.
Our local Nursing Home did celebrate Halloween during the afternoon, providing candy for the small ones, not in competition with the town's official TOT time. So the Home added to the possible celebration instead of diminishing it.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm GobbyGruesome , your wife might have something there. I never thought of the cold/rain factor being a good thing. I was wondering if younger parents nowadays just don't encourage or care about TOT. I was also wondering if parents don't like the idea of their kids eating candy??? Usually, we get at least one or two car-loads at the end of the night when TOTs that live too far to walk jump in the car to visit our haunt. But this year- the kids stopped coming at 7:40! We give out really good treats- mostly dollar store style toys and plush teddy bears to the wee ones, so it isn't for lack of reward. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
I was down by about a 6th this year.

However, we had a second house in the general area get shut down. 4 years ago there were 3 big houses on Halloween night, now, I'm the only one left, and I was the smallest of the three. One moved to doing their thing the Saturday before Halloween (easier to get the permit), the other got shut down because of traffic issues/not getting a permit. I can totally see parents thinking it's just not worth it to drive to one house instead of 3.

Anecdotally, there were fewer teens, and even my own son skipped out on us in favor of a party (countered by my other son having his friends come over and help us in the haunt for their party), so the whole weekend halloween = party thing seems to have some truth as well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ours was up by a bit this year, but I thought we were going to be so much higher. They started a festival down town this year, brought in 1000's of people .. They didn't however go trick or treating afterwards though like I had thought they would. From what I read, they will be largely expanding it next year, between that and a large decline in people handing out in this neighborhood over all .. Good portion of street for blocks was dark. I have a feeling we will see a big decline in numbers next year. :(

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
My count was up this year, but I think the overall drop is due to Halloween being on a Friday. I've said that the whole year, that Friday is bad night, as is Saturday. I will stick firmly to Thursday being the best night for Trick or Treating. I had a few that drove over from neighboring towns and most of those were repeats from prior years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It was raining and cold this year our ship is outside we still had about 150 kids ( about the same as last year , rained then too ) about half the kids had parents with them , and some adults without kids , all in all it was a good year and great time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My count was about the same as last year. Around 150 ToTers + parents. I did get more adults just coming to see things though. Some even came in for a beer and some food :)

Last year some folks around here gave the excuse was the rain, but it actually didn't rain during the 6-9pm time frame last year. This year I heard about mythical "parties" but not one single mom I spoke with sent their kids to parties.

It was a bit colder and I did notice lots and lots of kids coming in vehicles and being dumped on the end of my driveway, I guess what was mentioned that ToTers will go to the decorated houses.

My neighbour a few doors away got 90 kids (she doesn't include parents, just how many kids got candy, the same as I do) she turned off the lights as she ran out.

I think it depends on if you are on a busy street, are there lots of houses with lights on handing out candy, is it an easy neighbourhood to run from door to door etc. I know I live in a "nice" neighbourhood with well off folks, and yes folks give out good loot. Lots of full sized chocolates and cans of pop. So I do think we get some kids who come here for the loot. For our little neighbourhood, the weather has not been much of a factor, just for the wee little ones. Rain, moon, or snow we still get a fair number of kids.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Our count was way up this year, but that was because my son and his friend posted an invite on craigslist and we had folks from all over town showing up with car fulls of kids. Things didn't slow down until after 9:30.

Saturday Halloweens are pretty interesting here in North Florida because they always coincide with the University of Florida vs the University of Georgia football game, which is usually still going on when TOT starts, so most folks put candy out for the kids and their TVs out for Gator fans so they can follow the game as they go house to house.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We were way down too. Usually its a steady stream of kids but I'd have one or two then a gap then a couple more. A couple of other people I talked to had way less kids one friend said they got two groups and that was it! We did have rain all day on Friday so I think a lot of people wanted to find indoor alternatives or trunk or treats so they could get done faster.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
Nope, youse guys aren't alone.

We had 30-40 last year, this year 25-30 tops. They started later & ended earlier too. Normally we get a around of ToTers about 5 seconds after sunset when I'm still lighting pumpkins & lanterns but not this year, our first ones were after 6PM & we were done by 8PM.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
According to a couple neighbours, we dou led the number of trick or treater's with our house! Haha sorry neighbors! The newbies in town are bringing the holiday back! (It was our first Halloween here) thankfully they all seemed to be ok with it! We got 239!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts