Halloween Forum banner

Fewer Kmart 'Totally Ghoul' shopping places with Kmart/Sears Closures

982 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  TheHalloweenGuru 
#1 ·
Sears Holdings announced that they will be closing a number of Kmart Stores and a few Sears locations in the next coming months. Liquidation of mdse in those stores will happen so guess there's the possibility of some deals for those of you living near those locations. Not sure if they would have halloween mdse among what's left or not. This past year I purchased a few halloween items from Kmart.com and picked up a few orders at a nearby Sears location and others had sent to the house. My closest Kmarts in the Bay Area closed a number of years ago and I do miss them come halloween time when it was nice to look through their Totally Ghoul line in person. Also found garden/lawn items that I have used for halloween too.

I looked for a comprehensive list of closures but haven't seen one yet. Local papers have been running articles on stores in their area. I know 4 Kmarts in California are on the list, one here in the Bay Area in San Mateo. Think that was the only one left on the Peninsula that we had left but could be wrong. If anyone sees a list please post.

#3 ·
It's really sad to see the number of major chain stores I have grown up with closed or closing. I just read that the JCPenneys in Cupertino, CA is closing too. Bed Bath and Beyond doesn't look to be doing well when shop near there. Heck I was in Target the other night and the store was pretty empty. Have to say even the Ross Dress for Less store seems lighter in inventory and people shopping. Same for the Staples I was in. I really don't want to order everything off the internet to have shipped. For a few years we had 3 halloween-only stores nearby to shop at apart from Target and Walmart and lost one one year and one of the others opened so late and close to halloween it might as well have not opened. Thank god for Spirit who has stayed around. I usually buy a few things early in the season from them and then run in for last minute things as halloween nears.

Thanks for the Kmart list BTW. I see the one near my Mom is closing too.

#6 ·
Our Kmarts closed last year, and it was the same deal... maybe five cars in the parking lot any day of the week. On the plus side an Old Time Pottery store took the place of the one near our house and they're doing very well.

#7 ·
There are still 2 Kmarts in my area. One right around the corner practically. They both still do decent business. One reason for the one down by me is because it's the only retail store on this side of town outside your dollar stores.

#8 ·
Very sad to see. My mother,uncle and brother in law worked their whole careers at Sears. Back when they had full time employees and profit sharing and commision.I worked there for a while just out of high school back when there was actual customer service. I call Walmart "the bad place" do not patronize them. It's a sign of our crummy economy when the biggest growth is in dollar stores that sell the cheapest junk and then sell it again when it breaks in a month. One of the local IDAs is giving them 11 million in taxpayer money to site a warehouse for their cheap crap.
Sorry it's a sore subject for me.
Fortunately no closures near me. So far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.