Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Stryker- I too have used the iron points from Decorative Iron. Mine cost .28 each. I epoxyed a half inch dowel to the inside of the iron point then screwed the other end into the pvc sections. The dowels were 2 inches long. This worked great and looks awsome. I'll try to post some pics later. Hope this helps.

As darkness falls and shadows loom I bid you welcome to my tomb.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would also recommend the skull or pumpkin whistles. Toyguy on Ebay sold them in years past by the gross (144) for fairly cheap. Also at every Dollar store around the holiday. I used the pumpkin whistles from Toyguy, had plenty left over, and they fit right into the PVC pipe.

t.k.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey all! Well I started my pillars! I found a great price at home depot. I used pre-cut shelves, they are 1ft x 4ft. Perfect for my pillars. It is heavy pressboard. 2.50 each. It was cheaper than any of the plywood I could find. It makes it so the pillars not exactly square but that just means you have a larger front! tee hee. We have screwed on plastic hollow bat decorations. They are spooky!! I have been taking pics I just gotta do the whole posting thing.

All Halloween needs is a gift exchange!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those plastic finials rock! But, dumb question -- most fences are made of round PVC, so how would one get the square-bottomed finial to fit in the round hole? Would you just cut the whole thing off, or try to shave down the sides, or something else?

Thanks!

Beth Ryan
[email protected]

You can also heat them up with a heat gun and slip them on then take a wet cold rag and cool them down molding them to the pvc

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used rolled steel bars for our fence but whatever you use I found that burying some pvc pipes where your fence posts will be with a larger dimension than your fence posts so they just drop in makes set up a lot quicker the next year!

·
Registered
116 Posts
What I did when just using 1/2 inch pvc was use the rebar style Electric fence posts, which are pretty cheap and came almost to the top of the pipe. The past couple of years my end posts are 1.5 inches and using the plastic electric fence posts with the pointed metal bottoms which make a pretty tight fit, was using strapping to connect which I'm trying to figure out how to redo that aspect.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
408 Posts
I just ordered up some finials from https://www.kingmetals.com/Home.aspx. I got the 3/4 square thinking they should fit over the 1/2 PVC. .22 each (before shipping). Will be a week or two before I get to start construction. Plan do document the progress, I will post back here on how well it goes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The PVC will either need a little trimming or heat gun as the PVC is a little to thick, finally ordered mine and came a couple of weeks ago. Havent had time to work on them yet but a little testing. I was thinking of doing the sowel method I seen posted by somebody as mine sit outside and travel so can take them out. From what I found out with that should have went with 1/2 inch as the 5/8 dowel is way to small for them. Figure will put the dowel in then fill space with hot glue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
408 Posts
The PVC will either need a little trimming or heat gun as the PVC is a little to thick, finally ordered mine and came a couple of weeks ago. Havent had time to work on them yet but a little testing. I was thinking of doing the sowel method I seen posted by somebody as mine sit outside and travel so can take them out. From what I found out with that should have went with 1/2 inch as the 5/8 dowel is way to small for them. Figure will put the dowel in then fill space with hot glue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I anticipated needing to do a slight modification, I'm hoping the heat gun will work and give a tighter fit. The plan is to use 2" PVC pipe as fence posts on the ends, I have fence T-Posts that those should easily drop over, giving good support and easy assembly. I'm planning a 3 rail fence, 1 bottom, then 2 top rails 4" apart. Plan to use simple corner angle brackets to attach the fence to the posts. Want to top the posts off with Skulls. I've got it all drawn up. need to finish a few home projects before I can start on my Halloween work. I just moved so getting a late start this year.

·
408 Posts
I finally have all my supplies, I had a little time to do my proof of concept last night. Cut my first 3 verticals out of PVC, getting 3 lengths out of a 10' section. Used the heat gun to soften the end, did not take long at all. Finials went on with little effort. Were snug when it was still warm, but once cooled they slip off. Will glue and/or screw them on. Here is a snapshot of the results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used King metals for the finials a few years ago when I made my fences. If you quickly use a heat gun on the top of the pipe, you instantly put the finial on.. It will mold to the pipe. I used the 4 foot rebar because my fence sections are 8 feet long and 4 feet high.. Nothing will knock over my fence and no one can get in. fence 3.jpg fence 1.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Update on dowel idea at least for me wasn't a great idea, haven't had much time but did a proof of concept with one of them. The hot glue into the base and then dowel worked great, but either the 1/2 pvc was to thick or it was the little bit of paint the dowel did not really want to go in. Going to be much quicker just to use the heat gun method. Wish I had time just to redo them and satin them this time instead of paint as they need to be redone but don't see that happening with how busy I am.

·
408 Posts
Update on dowel idea at least for me wasn't a great idea, haven't had much time but did a proof of concept with one of them. The hot glue into the base and then dowel worked great, but either the 1/2 pvc was to thick or it was the little bit of paint the dowel did not really want to go in. Going to be much quicker just to use the heat gun method. Wish I had time just to redo them and satin them this time instead of paint as they need to be redone but don't see that happening with how busy I am.
Sorry to hear it is not going well. I managed to cut my 90 pieces and get tops on about 1/2 of them in about an hour today. Hope to have the rest done today. I think I'm just going to put a screw in to hold them on rather then deal with the mess and questionable results of gluing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I built mine with a pretty simple design.

1" x 2" x 10' pre primer'd boards at home depot
1/2" x 10' gray electrical pipe at home depot

Cut boards in half
Drill 5/8" holes at even spacing in top of boards. I think mine were about 9 inches apart
Cut pipe into thirds.. 39" ( if my math is right)

Painted everything with charcoal and black flat paint.

I fed the pipes into the holes and had two boards for each section. I screwed the boards to the pipes
However, I left the holes at each end empty.

When I use them, I over lap two sections at those empty end holes. I drive a piece of rebar thru that and then feed another section of pipe thru those hole to cover up the rebar.

I typically zig zag the sections for more stability if in a long run.

I have attached a couple pictures that kinda shows it on the left side.

These pictures are quite old. I have added finials and such, but this has lasted for 12+ years.

Attachments

·
408 Posts
Status Update: First Section of fence has come together well. Built out a Jig on my Drill press to do the holes in cross members, 9 holes across 30 boards, it was well worth the setup time. I did switch from a spade bit to a Forstner bit. the Spade bit was tearing up the holes and even split the wood a few times. The Screws I have are a bit long for the finials but work well for securing the wood/PVC. I may get rivets for the Finials. I need to be more efficient with the spay paint. doing one 'pipe' at a time wasted a lot of over-spray. Plan on grouping them together for the rest of the setup.
One section of fence (making 10)
3 - 1x2x8' Firing strips
3 - 10' 1/2" PVC (Cut to 36", 40" & 44")
9 Plastic finials
36 screws
1- can black spray primer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Status Update: First Section of fence has come together well. Built out a Jig on my Drill press to do the holes in cross members, 9 holes across 30 boards, it was well worth the setup time. I did switch from a spade bit to a Forstner bit. the Spade bit was tearing up the holes and even split the wood a few times. The Screws I have are a bit long for the finials but work well for securing the wood/PVC. I may get rivets for the Finials. I need to be more efficient with the spay paint. doing one 'pipe' at a time wasted a lot of over-spray. Plan on grouping them together for the rest of the setup.
Smart idea about using a Forstner bit had the same issue when I did mine, and when I used a really good spade bit that curved at the ends really had issues, but I also bought a Harbor freight cheapie as I'm not a woodworker and will hardly ever use it. Had the same issues with the spray paint also, even though i had several sort of close together more paint I think went airborne then on the pipe. I ended up just buying flat black exterior paint and doing it that way. Wish I would have had more time for prep work or just stained them wouldn't be repainting them now or as much to redo.

·
408 Posts
Smart idea about using a Forstner bit had the same issue when I did mine, and when I used a really good spade bit that curved at the ends really had issues, but I also bought a Harbor freight cheapie as I'm not a woodworker and will hardly ever use it. Had the same issues with the spray paint also, even though i had several sort of close together more paint I think went airborne then on the pipe. I ended up just buying flat black exterior paint and doing it that way. Wish I would have had more time for prep work or just stained them wouldn't be repainting them now or as much to redo.
I actually had a high speed boring spade bit, it has the screw tip that pulls it through the wood, it was 'too good'. My old drill press did not have enough torque for it. I still used it in my hand drill for the first center hole, but everything after that one the forstner did a clean job. The Jig let me flip the board over and drill from both sides with accuracy. Did 30 boards, so 270 holes in about 45 minutes. Setup out n the deck under a canopy so it was nice and cool. You can see the Vac duck taped to the press to help with the mess.

Now I have to paint and assemble the other 9 sections, then build the End Posts. Can't wait to get it all done. If the whole looks anything like the one section I will be extremely happy. Going away for the weekend so it will have to wait a week or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I built my fence out of two 1x2's drilled 8 times for 4 foot long PVC. Then on each piece, I drilled a small hole about 1 foot from the end of each pvc and then put in a self tapping screw. Then I put one of the 1x2's over each of the 8 pieces and then put in the top screws and then put on the top 1x2. Each end I pounded a 2 foot piece of rebar into the ground and slid the end pvc post over it. I then used black duct tape to connect the 1x2's. The finials are 12 packs of skulls from party city that I drilled through the bottom and stuck on the top of each pvc.

It isn't perfection, but it does the job and it breaks down easily for storage. I'm trying to get my wife to let me paint the skulls black.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
29 Participants
Therewolf
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing