Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Last year I got my PVC fence done, finally. It looks really good, and even built two "corners" for the graveyard gate. But I never did solve a few problems.

The first is the fencepost toppers. I've seen some really good pictures our there that have gothic-style points on them. Does anyone have a good source for these that would fit on standard 3/8" PVC? Or some good instructions for how to make them?

Secondly, getting the fences to "stick together". We finally resorted to using a 1.5" holesaw (I think) to take out the edges of each segment of fence, and putting a 1.5" PVC pipe in the middle, then tying the contraption together with fishing line. The fence stood on a small length of rebar in the dirt, but they would lean at various angles. Did I just not use enough rebar?

I'm going to make some more 1'x1'square corner-posts this year to allow for a more uniform appearance, but how did everyone join their segments of fence together into one unit?

What kinds of gates did everyone make? I managed to make a half-length gate with sequentially-higher posts to make it look "raised", and this year will actually attach it to a square cornerpost with hinges and probably make another one, to make a double-gated "entrance". I'm even thinking if I have enough time to make it move slightly as if squeaking in the wind.

-Stryker
"The body is but a coffin for the soul."

·
Registered
229 Posts
use longer rebar and let the grass grow.

I don’t even hard link my fence sections together. The longer rebar will keep it in line.
But hey if it does lean a bit it will give it the old decrepit look

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am making my cemetary entrance and fence from twigs (as in like twig furniture, not short pieces that fell off the tree in a wind storm, hee). I have the start of the arbor, which I plan on finishing by filling it in with peeled willow bent in half circle patterns. Then I want to stain the willow in either red or yellow and the main frame of the arbor, made with beech, in something dar - almost black. then I will have a bent willow gate with similar details and beech fencing.

HHH

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can get 24" finnial fence top sections at Walmart for $1.00. Each piece has 4 finnials and really cool gothic architecture to it. You shouldn't have a problem integrating it into your PVC cemetery fencing. I use rebar also to link fence sections together. I run the rebar about 18" into the ground. We have a hard clay soil here in Texas so it holds really good.

The Dark Tomb - Psychological Terror at it's best!
www.mansionofterror.com/props.htm

·
Future Marine
3,024 Posts
I am considering making a fence this year and cant decide between the "metal bar" look or the wooden spiked fence. If I made a wooden spiked fence Id have them crooked. I am not sure If I will get to it this year even though it is a relativly small project. Does anybody know how much those wodden fence spikes cost. They are like 1X3 with a pointed top.

Michael Ball

Check out my photo album!
http://halloweengallery.com/index.php?cat=10014

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just have a brace that goes from about 12" up the post angled down to the ground. This is common on rought Iron fences so it won't look out of place.

I can't picture how you have you sections attached. How did you make the fence? I think I might be able to help you if I had a little more detail. Any pictures?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by rweso

Just have a brace that goes from about 12" up the post angled down to the ground. This is common on rought Iron fences so it won't look out of place.

I can't picture how you have you sections attached. How did you make the fence? I think I might be able to help you if I had a little more detail. Any pictures?
Yeah, I have some, and have been resizing them for the last year. :) No, it's not a REALLY slow computer, just haven't had time at home, and didn't have them available at work. Have transferred most of them and will actually POST them soon.

The angling post is a great idea, I might do that.

I'll look at Wal-Mart for those finnials. I'll post as soon as I get the pictures up. Thanks!

-Stryker

·
Registered
236 Posts
Stryker,
I made my sections 8' long. I connected the pieces by using rebar and 2 inch pvc. I glued a 1/2 inch piece of pvc inside the 2 inch piece. Cut the rebar about a foot longer than the poles. Bang your rebar in the ground, then slip your pole over the rebar. I cut out slots for the 1x2 to slip in and used a small L bracket on the bottom to stiffen it up. It held up fine. I have a couple pictures in my album. Hope that helps!

Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost- Jimmy Buffett

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh! Ok, I didn't think about cutting slots in the 2 inch piece. My rebar was only about 2 feet long, and I think that's what let the fence lean so much. I also had others doing it that might not have been as into the job as I would have liked, so that might account for it too. Probably hammered the rebar in at odd angles.
I'll check your album to see how those slots looked.

-Stryker

·
Registered
353 Posts
Are any of you concerned when putting so much rebar into the ground? What about underground lines going from the street to the house. I move alot and that is a big concern for me since i don't feel like paying the township, electric, water a bunch of my money for puncturing a hole in some underground line.

Life is full of choices - if you don't like your life - make better choices

·
Future Marine
3,024 Posts
You can always call dig safe that is free service. TO be hones I am not worried about sticking stuff into the ground. It is not a problem for me because all the lines(excluding elctric overhead) are very deap. All the pipes come in through the basement around the floor area. so as long as its not a long piece I am not concerned. There is no way rebar will puncture any of the lines going to my house unless I had a sledge hammer. We had an addition put on and I saw the enderground lines, They would be very hard to puncture. If you are concerned by all means call Dig safe.

Michael Ball

Check out my photo album!
http://halloweengallery.com/index.php?cat=10014

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thank you so much Madmax for that link. I was planning on using the two steel finials I have and try to make a couple molds. I wasn't sure about trying to use spray foam in a mold. You just saved me lots of time and probably more than a few headaches.

I don't suffer from insanity but enjoy every minute of it - Edgar Allan Poe

·
Registered
236 Posts
Boo,
I bought 4 ft pieces of 1/2 inch rebar. I cut about 1 ft off. I used the 3 ft section for my posts and the 1 ft piece left over was used to hold my tombstones. Got the rebar at Home Depot for around 2 bucks a piece.

Vampires, Mummies and the Holy Ghost- Jimmy Buffett

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MadMax, that's AWESOME!! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for, and extremely reasonable prices!

As to rebar, yeah, it's pretty inexpensive. My Home Depot (or Lowes, I forget which) sells 2 foot segments for a buck or two a piece. I forget which but it was very inexpensive.

-Stryker

·
Registered
237 Posts
Those plastic finials rock! But, dumb question -- most fences are made of round PVC, so how would one get the square-bottomed finial to fit in the round hole? Would you just cut the whole thing off, or try to shave down the sides, or something else?

Thanks!

Beth Ryan
[email protected]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, if you get the right size, you can slide them over the top... round pegs will fit in a square hole if the diameter is smaller than one side. So if you got 3/8" pvc, and the finnial fit over a 3/8" post, it should slide right on.

If not, Liquid Nails, baby! :D

-Stryker

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
29 Participants
Therewolf
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing