Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I'm pretty good at making your standard cemetery fence out of 1x2's and PVC, but I want to add a gate. But I don't want the gate to be just made of vertical and horizontal pieces. Below is picture of what I was thinking of doing, the pieces in RED are what I'm trying to figure out how to do. I want these piece to look similar to the 1x2 wood pieces. Everything will be painted black, so color isn't an issue. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the heat gun and PVC would do the trick... thanks!
I don't think hose would be sturdy enough.
Can anyone think of something rectangular in shape that could be used as well? Similar to the currently used 1x2 wood pieces?

·
Registered
158 Posts
can you get your hands on plexi glass it shapes great with a heat gun and you cn glue it into the rectangle youneed

·
Registered
35 Posts
gate fence

I like your design. Although it may be late in the season but I used two metal trelices from a Fleet Farm store you may also be able to find them at a Steins store or any other garden center. They are made from 1/2 x 1/2 square metal tubing. You may also be able to go to a metal shop and purchase a length of 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing which can be bent easily or even a piece or pipe or conduit will bend in a wide circle like you need without kinking.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A while back there was a fella who made an arched gate some what similar to what you are planning on making. Thankfully he took some high-res images of his build and I remember that he had actually scrolled the arched shape out of wood which appeared to me to be 3/4" plywood. The vertical PVC pipes were sandwiched between the front and back sections of the plywood and then screwed together. With that in mind I think that his arch railing had a wider face than his straight fence runs, at least in my mind I think that having a piece of plywood only 3/4" wide might be a bit narrow, I would think 1' minimum maybe?

At any rate, that may be an alternative to using a heat gun and PVC.

Good luck.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Here are a couple of suggestion, You could try some screen moulding its a thin wood strip about 2" wide if you soak it in water it will bend even more. I also remember someone here suggesting/using landscape edging I think it was some kind of recycled material not the standard plastic with the rolled edge, You could try some PVC moulding Lowes and home depot carry it, Its called something like never rot or can't rot but just ask for exterior PVC moulding it very flexiable and they sell some thin strips. Good Luck

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great ideas everyone, thanks!

I forgot all about the PVC-type moulding material. I recently used it during a bathroom remodel, where there would be a lot of water contact and I didn't want to use wood. I'm going to run out and see if they have anything square-ish and I can possibly use the sandwich technique with two around the vertical PVC. Ezekiel - I believe have a link to that project you are talking about. I'll post the outcome, of course.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
PVC pipe bend it with a heat gun it will work. Just map it out on a board and place screws in the board where you want to bend it. Then fill it with sand so it bends better and heat up the PVC where you want the bend to be. Place it between these screws to hold until it sets. The great thing about the board is each side will be exactly the same because one mirrors the other. Then drill through the PVC like in the picture and toward the top just drill half way so the vertical PVC rests inside the horizonal PVC pipe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your best bet would be to go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy vinyl trim, they make in 1x3/4x1/2 x 10ft pieces... here you can see I used on my gates..

Its not a perfect curve for the shear fact of wanting it to look warped and worn. to get a good curve, make a peg board and heat it up with a heat gun (or hair dryer), makes bending it easy.

·
Banned
91 Posts
you could also try bender board. rip it down on a table saw if needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts