Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am, introducing myself on the same day I actually start asking for help. I'm throwing this Mad Scientists party in a dental practice and can't seem to figure out my costume. The jacket I use for work seemd a great start and I thought I'd add white stocking and white flat shoes with laces and a white skirt over the knee, to get an old fashioned nurses look...the whole thing ends up looking pretty boring. But a soon as a google for nurse costumes, well, you guessed it, only really slutty sex-store type of outfits come up. That made me decide that I absolutly don't want to add anything red, to prevent a link between those type of outfits and mine...

But now I'm stuck. I thought I'd maybe take it towards a steampunk look, but considering that I usually already dress al little like that, it woudln't really look like a costume.

Then I thought I'd go for something futuristic and even bought a fluorescent green bob wig, but that looks awful on me! Hahaha, no go.

So I'd really appreciate some help or direction on what I could do to make this outfit work. :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,079 Posts
I think crazy hair is a must. If you can find a white wig that is all poofy, that is the best, but anything that looks similar in other colors - even your own hair if you don't mind lots of hairspray and poofing it up.

Goggles of some kind, and if you don't want to wear them on your face, strapped to the top of your head. Or large black framed "nerd" glasses - lots of places to find those and can remove the lenses even.

A button down shirt of some kind and a bow tie. Can even use a comically large one (like for a clown costume).

The doctor lab coat... I love the idea of splattering it with colors (not blood colors since you're wearing it at work and likely don't want to go gory). But could use green, blue, orange and yellow so it looks like you've gotten splattered with chemicals - but it could also be pretty doing lots of colors - sort of turning your lab coat into a wearable spin art piece? (obviously don't do this on a lab coat you want to wear every day. Could try using "washable" paint and adding some bleach to the wash to remove the colors after, but it might still be stained anyway)

Check out this pinterest set to get some more ideas:
https://www.pinterest.com/explore/mad-scientist-costume/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! My first interaction on the forum this year! :) thanks! Yes, I've been thinking about goggles, should have them somewhere, can't remember where though haha, must be in the attic. I've just cut my hair very short and thought, since everyone might be doing the poofy hair and people are used to me having poofy curly hair, I'd comb it backwards real slick, to change my everyday look ;)

I love the idea of slattered chemicals! I should try and make that work. My character will be the kind that sells potions and solutions to enhance people (very nerdy) with vampire skills, such as hypnosis and eternal life and such. I've got all these disposable injections (without needles of course) , but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach them to my costume, with a belt or something. I thought I'dfill them up with different colours of fluids, and then hand them out to people or something.. So the weird colours splashed on the costume might really go well with that!

Thanx a million for your input!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(my post got lost, so I'll wirte it again) English not being my first lagnuage I had to look up 'bandolier' :) but yes, definately what I was thinking of! Just don't have any idea how to go about it. I don't think I know of any shops that would sell such a thing. Perhaps I could use a normal belt with elastic bands to keep them stuck on it? Love the idea of labels! I should absolutely do that! Thanx!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I love the steam punk idea. How about adding a welders arm gloves? I think most of them are leather ( not the slutty leather, but the brown rugged type)

https://www.google.com/search?q=welders+arm+gloves&safe=active&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilid3wu9_PAhWNCD4KHQ6XCQ4Q_AUICSgC&biw=1366&bih=621#imgrc=hNzuCTierQr-QM:

Top hats are also customary. Other, then that I can only think of adding tools (saws, knives. anything sharp and mechanical looking)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay! I've deceded on the steampunk version! My guy asked me to try it o and said it looked perfect! I'll try and make a decent picture of it, so I can post it. In fact, it's just a white overknee skirt, with a poofy one underneath with black lace, white stockings and white shoes with laces, just because that's epic, haha. And the skirt with black lace sticks out at the top and it's light and dark brown striped and looks like a wide belt. The jacket will be covered by it from the waist on, but I think that's pretty much ok, since it's a mad scientist themed party and I expect a lot of people wearing lab coats and jackets over everything. I had these goggles, that are way to modern, so I might pop by the store and by steampunk ones, I saw them fairly cheap. Then there's the issue of accesoires (I think this is French spelling, sorry) . Already have this thing my little brother made me in brown leather that straps around the upper arm and holds a bottle. I thought I could put in a bottle with bright yellow liquid and label it Solanum :) Now perhaps indeed some tools out of the dental clinic should do the finishing touch. Also have this tiny little handbag that somewhat looks like a doctor's suitcase, maybe I'll be able to put a light in there and some seringes or something... Thanx a million for your replies!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, would it be weird if I strated a thread around my party, where I can perhaps show some of the deco I made and all that? Would also be nice to have an overview of what the party will look like, since I can only start decorating a day in advance... And maybe some of you will have ideas on what to add or change to make it look more complete? Or is it too ego-centric to start a thread over your own party?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,301 Posts
By the way, would it be weird if I strated a thread around my party, where I can perhaps show some of the deco I made and all that? Would also be nice to have an overview of what the party will look like, since I can only start decorating a day in advance... And maybe some of you will have ideas on what to add or change to make it look more complete? Or is it too ego-centric to start a thread over your own party?
i say go for it! one thing i wish people here did more of (myself included) is share more of their party photos.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definitely do it, please! I love seeing party photos and you have a great theme. I think most people here love seeing what everyone else is working on!

·
Registered
11 Posts
When my husband went as a mad scientist, we put dark grey eye shadow brushed on the face around the edge of his goggles, so that when the goggles were on top of his head, it looked like he had been in a lab explosion!! It was a great effect. I believe he also made his lab coat look like it had been burned in places as well.

Can't wait to see pictures!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I will :) feels like I should! But, sure, it would just start out with silly props and stuff I bought, but it would be nice to see it grow into a real party! Hope I can convince some of the people at the party that I can actually post pictures with them in it, afterwards :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When my husband went as a mad scientist, we put dark grey eye shadow brushed on the face around the edge of his goggles, so that when the goggles were on top of his head, it looked like he had been in a lab explosion!! It was a great effect. I believe he also made his lab coat look like it had been burned in places as well.

Can't wait to see pictures!!

Oooh! Now there's a great idea for my guy! He's stuck with his labcoat and doesn't know what to do with it at all! I'm sooooo going to present this idea! Thanx!

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can also go the plague doctor route. Works really well with steam punk

I am working on my hubbys plague doctor mask now. I should have pictures this weekend. But this is something similar. Just the female version.
f88c0cdbb19420161e5856774060a699.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now it's funnythat you mention that! My guy was giong for a mask like that!!! We couldn't really afford one and I don't think I could make one, not now anymore anyway. It's awesome that you did, though! It's exactly the sort of creepy he is into :) What's your husband wearing for costume?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts