Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in creating the beloved tombstone, and with that, have been researching body casting online today. I am seriously interested in doing this, the question I have, I would like to cast a small female body for this project. After the project was completed, the arms, legs, neck, face and feet would only be showing.

I am trying to go for a similar look to this.

Interested to hear your thoughts...

Anyone else did any body casting? I have more questions..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Not to be a pervert. Ok, I am but don't forgot to show pictures. I wouldn't believe you that you made this prop if you didn't show a half naked lady during the castings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Body casting is not the way to go with this project... WAY to expensive for a one-off project... chicken wire, fiberglass and perhaps some modified maniquin pieces... first off the position of the body is way to complicated for someone who has never done body casting, second it is not cost realistic to do it this way unless it is for a production run...

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Body casting is not the way to go with this project... WAY to expensive for a one-off project... chicken wire, fiberglass and perhaps some modified maniquin pieces... first off the position of the body is way to complicated for someone who has never done body casting, second it is not cost realistic to do it this way unless it is for a production run...

674.95 is the cost from one website, so squatdaddy I agree. The main items I really want to immulate are the arms, face and feet of a statue.

Any suggestions on how to get the porcelain look of a statue using foam, or is there another type of material I should be looking at?

Here is another photo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
mannequin pieces can be cut apart and re-assembled using gorilla glue and bondo, it can be sanded and painted for that ivory look

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw something similar to this at DESIGNTOSCANO.com- it comes in two sizes, If you live in Illinois - near Elkgrove Village, they have a warehouse sale coming up in the next couple of months. It's worth going to the prices are very reasonable.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
GothicPrincess,

Let me see if I can break this down.

1. You are hoping to recreate the mourning angel monument from the picture you posted. You say you want to cast small female parts. What scale are you considering? Are you hoping for a small woman? Small child?

2. You are wondering what medium to use and how to finish the piece so that it will look like sculpted marble.

If I were going to build this, I would use a combination of styrofoam (for the sub-structure and block portions) and plaster for the casted body parts. To get a smaller scale, I would actually use either my 5 year old or 12 year old daughter's arms and feet. I would just make a quick negative and then pour in plaster for the new positive. For the statuary clothing, I would use either MonsterMud or GP Resin.

To finish the piece, I would give the entire piece a really good basecoat of exterior white primer/sealer. Then I would go to a home improvement store and get an appropraite faux marble kit. There are a lot of different onces to choose from depending on what kind of marble look you want. You might also check a theatre site or two and see what they say about faux marble painting.

I would then finish the whole piece with a coat or two of gloss or near-gloss clear finish. This will enhance the look of the marble and give the piece a smoother looking finish.

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GothicPrincess,

Let me see if I can break this down.

1. You are hoping to recreate the mourning angel monument from the picture you posted. You say you want to cast small female parts. What scale are you considering? Are you hoping for a small woman? Small child?

2. You are wondering what medium to use and how to finish the piece so that it will look like sculpted marble.

If I were going to build this, I would use a combination of styrofoam (for the sub-structure and block portions) and plaster for the casted body parts. To get a smaller scale, I would actually use either my 5 year old or 12 year old daughter's arms and feet. I would just make a quick negative and then pour in plaster for the new positive. For the statuary clothing, I would use either MonsterMud or GP Resin.

To finish the piece, I would give the entire piece a really good basecoat of exterior white primer/sealer. Then I would go to a home improvement store and get an appropraite faux marble kit. There are a lot of different onces to choose from depending on what kind of marble look you want. You might also check a theatre site or two and see what they say about faux marble painting.

I would then finish the whole piece with a coat or two of gloss or near-gloss clear finish. This will enhance the look of the marble and give the piece a smoother looking finish.

I am taking the Beloved tombstone and working off of it, creating my own version. The two will be far from identical. I have been working with Terra on the Angel wings. I would like to get the impression of the crying angel statue bending over my tombstone.

I have a friend who has a 16 year old daughter who I might ask to model for the statue. I was thinking of casting her arms, feet, face and neck for the project.

Money being tight, I might actually use another form for these body parts.

I already have the wedding dress, styrofoam head and a half mannequin body I used last year for this project, now I would like to step it up a notch.

I went to the cemetery yesterday and took a good look at the details and skin on our angel statues. The marble look after all these years, is what I would really like to copy. Think lady turned to stone.

I have done the marbling technique before and not sure if that is the way I want to go yet...

keep the discussion going...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I would hate to see you shy away from doing this naked chick thing. A naked chick is a terrible thing to waste. I have heard that the lady that just got booted off Dancing with the stars is looking for a gig. I bet she would do this for free. LOL And I would be willing to take pictures to help out. I am looking out for you, you know. LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
no matter how you look at it, casting body parts is a cost and one that will creep up quickly... any of your direct skin mold making compounds offered by smooth-on or polytek are expensive, then trying to cast them once you have a negative mother mold (don't forget the re-enforcement jacket mold) is to get a good cast the first shot (especially if using something destructive like alginate) a good pour is as much an art technique as it is a science... if you don't do it consistantly and money is an issue, I am still not sold casting any body part is the way to go... just my 2 cents

·
6,359 Posts
You say money is a decision maker. I completely understand, but I also know different people have different concepts of what is too expensive. One might not want to spend more than $50-75 on this, where as someone else might consider $200-$250 as a good budget for a prop of this scale. Someone else may want tp spend even more!

Anyway, There are so many tricks you can use, I can't even keep them all straight in my head. First, check local stores and Craigslist to see about cheap manneguins, or manneguin parts such as feet and hands that are for free or for sale cheap. This is a great way to get props. You can also check antique and salvage shops -- you never know what you are going to find. This may help with the human aspects of the piece.

Another alterative is to see if you have a statuary manufacturer in your area. I know if a place about 10 miles from me that builds concrete statuary for parks, gardens, etc. If you ask them, they may be able to help a lot. You may be able to get free, or really cheap, "bad pours" from them. This is a statue that didn't fill properly, or broke during casting. Again, you may also be able to pick up pieces of statues for free. A hand or foot that broke off.

If you're really determined, you can ask a statuary shop to make you a plaster cast version of concrete statue. This may cost several hundred dollars, and weight a lot depending on how large the mold is, but you would be getting an authentic, one-piece monument.

·
6,359 Posts
Again, if I were committing myself to this project, I would be looking to save money where ever possible. To that end, I would be looking at thrift shops and Craigslist to see what I could find for hands, feet and face. The rest of the body I would build out of lightweight material, so that the end prop will be relatively easy to move. I think I would build a framework out of 2x4s and chicken wire to give me the shape. I would then add the body parts I was able to find and MM or resin the dress on.

Also, I don't think I would use an actual dress, it's large and difficult to work with as a single piece. I think I would use fabric, possibly some clearance material from a fabric store or a couple of cheap flat sheets from a thrift store.

·
6,359 Posts
I get the sense you are very attached to the inspiration pic you began this thread with, but here are some other pics I found that show varients on your theme. They also show a variety of finished looks that might help.

·
6,359 Posts
This is very similar to the one above, but a with dark marble. Also, in this version the wings are more attached to the torso. This may help the structural support.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts