Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I found what I believed to be a steal from a Craigs List sight in Raleigh,N.C.
After an hour drive I came away with a 400w fogger for $10.00, 2 1000w foggers for $20.00 each etc.
My real question is what are these latex props called? What are they worth? I have searched the web
and countless sites for something similar - no luck
I gave $20.00 each for the Angel and the skeleton prop, and $10.00 for the Big mouth guy.
Good buy, Great buy? What are these guys called? :eek: Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Those are probably, at least, 10 years old.

They cost around $75 - $125 each back then i'd say.

Great find, they look barley used if ever.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,498 Posts
I can weigh in on the reaper bust. I bought two of them several years ago. I'm thinking that particular prop was offered about 12-15 years ago. New, it retailed for $80.00. I still have one that is in like new condition. The other I sold to a friend. The groundbreaker with his mouth sewn shut was also a Spirit prop, again over 10 years old. These look to be in very nice condition. You got a helluva deal! Congrats!

·
Registered
461 Posts
We have one of the reaper busts as well - looks great peeking over a fence (makes him look really tall!) or on a pedestal!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I was looking in a huge mostly full local dumpster, there was a very old taxidermied deer head! "You need this for your haunted house, Jim!"
IT's eyes were crossed, it had visible stitching here and there like the Franken-Deer! AND because an ex of mine was a Collections/Care museum person I also knew the hair was buggy!
The last people to have lived in the apartment being emptied had been a man who lived with his Father, this son had just died in the nursing home at 98 years of age.. nobody had lived in this Apt. for a long. long time!
Museums have their furry things freeze-dried every other year to keep bugs out.
After a lightning bolt started a local store on fire, a few days later two guys from "The City" were in town to see my house, but had some time to "kill", seeing a burnt mannekin in the dumpster inspired them to get it out and put it in their truck.
At first glance it seemed like a real burn victim!
Now if only they had been pulled-over going home!

·
The Squirrel Whisperer
1,157 Posts
jdubbya is correct. Angel of Death & Nailed Down Zombie are the first two latex props. They were both sold by Spencer's/Spirit Halloween about 8-10 years ago and were about $79.99, if I remember correctly. I have both and they are great props.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have the skeletal/zombie/grave buster guy too! Unfortunately, this is a prop susceptible to latex rot from poor storage, so ours needs some work. Yours look like they're in great shape! Make sure they live in the A/C in the off season. I've seen this type of zombie latex prop referred to as a "grimrot" - at least that's what I call them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the Big Mouth guy does have some damage (rot) on the bottom. Maybe having been put on damp ground.
Is there any fix for this? Possible to reapply latex of some sort?

·
Registered
17 Posts
These are fantastic any way you look at it! Nice find.

I have been watching Craiglist in my area and nothing good ever comes up!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Repairs aren't easy, though if it's on the bottom and won't be seen that helps. What works for me is doing a sort of patch with gauze and liquid latex, then painting to match. Could also maybe use caulk for a crack. Sort of depends on the situation and if you need to fill big holes. There's a couple of threads around the forum:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/130061-keeping-latex-rotting.html
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/129349-latex-glue-help-needed.html
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/123269-saving-latex-monsters-cracking.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, seems as if I got some sweet deals. Between the two 1000w foggers for $20.00 a piece, one 400w fogger for $10.00 (all with timers)
and these ground breakers along with several other lights, inside and outside decor, jumping spider etc., guess I made out just fine !
I actually ran out of room in the truck and couldn't fit in the cemetary entrance or the 3 coffins I originally went after-Oh well.
Thank you Craigs List....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
divinedragon7,
I'm constantly checking throughout the year in areas near my location, not just in October. I found these guys back in
May or June in Raleigh N.C., about an hour from my home. Apparently well worth my drive ! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts