Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've seen these luminaries advertised on TV and thought they surely should have some application for Halloween. It would be cool to cut out your own patterns in construction paper and put orange tissue paper behind them and make it into a square to put on the light. Or just use it as a light in a jack 'o-lantern. The flicker effect is much more pronounced than you get with the flickering tealights.

Or I also wondered if it would be possible to use the circuitry from the light to control other lights. I have a little electronics knowledge but not enough to tackle something like that. I bought one a few nights ago to see how it works. I haven't been able to get the plastic cover off yet to see the lights themselves. It's held on by four extremely tiny screws and to make matters worse, one of the screws has a trianglur shape on the head instead of the phillips style of the other three. Watching the flickering of it, it seems like there's at least two bulbs in it. Another drawback is that it automatically shuts itself off after four hours of operation.

Just wondering if anyone else has looked at these and thought of any uses for Halloween.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
I actually just looked at these last night at WM. There was a spider one, and a jack o'lantern one. I noted they are $13, and I have a coupon for one, that's when hubby came through and was like, come ooonn.... (we were supposed to be hurrying, we were late to pick up from soccer practice! LOL) and he knows how I am!! :D

Anyway, I didn't get it, and didn't get to look good - but I do plan to go back with my coupon and purchase one! But I hadn't thought of altering it!! That might be a neat idea - if you can figure the screws out! LOL ;)

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
958 Posts
these are great! I saw these about a month ago and took a pic with them on my Blackberry to upload here, but I cant find the cord for my computer. Need to find the coupon to as they looked like a lot of fun!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I can see how some folks might like these, but for me, they aren't practical.

I don't see myself spending that kind cash on a luminary when a simple brown paper bag, a handful of sand and a tealight (real pennies, LED a buck a piece) makes a great looking luminary, a real classic.
Second, when I want luminaries, I want dozens - lining the steps, the driveway, the front of the house.
Third, I don't want scents.

Granted, I think of luminaries, or luminarias, as an outdoor lighting solution, and not an indoor center piece. For indoors I use real lanterns, candles and hurricane lamps.
As indoor pieces, I can see the attraction for these.

·
Registered
145 Posts
They look pretty, but I get migraines with those type of things. I might just have to steal Spats' idea : )

·
Registered
668 Posts
i like the spider design one, but i agree that the price is outrageous. I have better hallowen goodies to spend my $ on.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
yeah, $13 is high. I can't remember what my coupon is for, but even if it was $5 off, that'd make it $8 and that's still kinda high.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you're right that the price is a little high. But I thought maybe someone would know how to use the circuitry to control other lights. Maybe use it to control PVC candles.

I didn't know they had Halloween designs for them. Wonder what scent they are.

Still haven't found a way to get the screws out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts