Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well, I've looked through several FCG tutorials and how-tos...however, they all want a static base to them. I was wondering if it'd be possible to do a FCG and have it hanging by a hook. (basically, I have a heavy duty hook I hang a windchime from and thought a FCG would look awesome out there... plus everyone saying it's a good first prop is always good. ...also if it's not too much trouble I'd like to add glowing eyes to it)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I assume you are wanting to hang the frame/motor assembly from the hook and not the actual ghost. The problem you are going to have it the frame will spin and wobble if hung from a single point. I have hung mine by making a frame out of PVC and hanging it from that and also by putting plant hanger hooks in the ceiling!

Oh, and the glowing eyes is easily accomplished by getting a pair of strobing eyes that run off a 9v battery. Hauntmasterproducts.com is a good source for those.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if it was possible, I was thinking about hanging the actual ghost... I wasn't entirely sure about the mechanics that makes it possible... or what a FCG actually does (move up and down I take it).... because if that's it then I could just put the crank on the floor and just allow some extra room in the lines and let the ghost go up and down like that. .. I think. (we're on the 3rd story so no one can really notice anything)

·
Registered
916 Posts
The frame/motor part of the FCG can actually be placed about anywhere but the ghost need to hang from 3 seperate points.....head, left hand, right hand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's possible to do this. You can seperate the mechanism from the ghost - therefore you'll get a "crank" of that measurement you want. Means the ghost will get as big as you want, if your motor is strong enough.

But you have to get 2 more hooks right and left from you're hook. 1 hook for the head, 1 hook for the left arm, 1 hook for the right arm.

By this way it's also possible to add more lines for other purposes, maybe legs or so, just fix another crossbar with hooks on it, drill 4, 5 or 6 holes in the washer and you're done. But if you do so, think about the strengthness of you're motor.

Or you have to built a separate rig which has to be well balanced on which you hang up you're ghost and a separate rig for the motor (but by this way you'll get an unwished motion back and forth when the motor pulls.

You can mount the rig for example anywhere behind you're hooks - get a longer fishing line - connect the fishing line to the washer with the 3 holes and run each line through another hook.

Peter

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so, I finished making the body of the FCG.... my question is, what does the frame/crossbar do? I'm going to be hanging it from the balcony, 3 different lines and using an oscillating fan as my motor. Am I unable to just run the lines from the fan to the FCG or is there another stuff in there?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi ChangedReality, first have you ever seen a frame /crossbar of a FCG?

Before I've seen any (I mean in reality - not on pictures on internet - after I built it I complete understood it and was able to modify it). I also could not figure out what and how it does things before I held it in my hands.

I'll help you out and solve the problem with you if you want.

Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, I just drawn a picture of what I mean I hope you can imagine it - please contact me if I were not able to make it clear - I'll try to.

But don't critize my drawing skill - it's horrible.

Peter:rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I've never actually have seen the crossbar of a FCG before besides pictures.

...so...the crossbar has eyehooks to hold the line in place... the washer has 3 holes for the 3 lines... the washer is connected to the motor and that's what spins the wires, the holes in the washer is what pulls the line tight and make it move? ....so... the crossbar is what the entire thing hangs off of and provides the central point for the motor so that it can move the ghost?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, usually if I can actually see something and inspect it in person I make quick work of understanding how it works and is able to reproduce it, not being able to interact with it makes it more difficult.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's exactly what it does.

I hoped you would understand my terrible drawing.

... and of course my bed (bad not bed - I think I should go there soon :) - the sun is going down) english.

Have you got another answer? Maybe I can explain it a little better or I can find a solution that's right for your needs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
To your 2nd message. that's exactly what happens to me. If I'm not able to hold it in my hands sometimes it's difficult to understand it. So I've to make my own experiences. ;)

Peter

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So... if I were to want to hang it from an already done source (say 3 hooks already in the balcony ceiling) I wouldn't need a crossbar then... all I would need to do is a washer with 3 holes in it and the motor, then simply have the motor somewhat close/central to the FCG and that would do the same thing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, you got it. In this case the ceiling is your "crank".

But don't forget the motor arm! It's necessary! The way the ghost moves up and down is determined by the length of this arm! Shorter arm = shorter way up and down, longer arm = longer way.

Sorry that it lasts longer when I answer you - some (by me) unknown words I've to find by google.

Peter

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So... how would one attach the motor arm from the motor to the ghost? I would've thought that the washer with the 3 holes would do that? (sorry, I feel like an idiot asking questions like this)

...and Vielen Dank.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As a suggestion.

Built a model out of cardboard. Only a plain sheet, mark a point as motor (for example near the middle, pin a needle through it, then make 2 little holes in the top corners and one in the middle of the bottom. Cut a small stripe of cardboard, on one end make a little hole and stick it over the neddle. (So you can just spin it around). On the other end of the cardboard stripe you make 3 little holes. Run 3 threads through the holes in the strip an through the holes in the cardboard sheet. Now you have a model. Spin the stripe and look what happens. It'll be the easiest way to find out and to modify it, because when you're done you can throw it away - Saves much time and money.

Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
One end of the motor arm should be fixed at the axle of the motor - the other end is for the washer (make a hole, run a machine screw through it, save it with a locker nut, then after the screw cames the washer with the holes, then another locker nut. The second nut you should not tighten firmly - the washer must be able to spin - otherwise the line would be coiled over the screw and the arm. And than you're right the ghost will be fixed through the lines on (or at?) the washer.

I'll try to draw it separatly.

Peter

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OOHHHH, so the arm is merely coming out of the motor, the washer is attached to the end of the arm, the lines/washer doesn't move at all, the arm moves in a circular motion... the bigger the circle, the bigger the movement... so if you were to use a fan, you could cut 2 of the 3 arms off and use just one of the fans, attach a washer at the end of it and runs the line through, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts