Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been touched on many times, but I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the Dayton 3M096 motor on their flying crank ghost. I called Grainger and they said its the closest alternative to the Dayton 2Z806, which is no longer available. The 2Z806 is the motor suggested by some of the FCG build sites.

the 3M096 turns at a faster 6.9 RPM
it has more torque at 35 in-lbs.
but has a less Overhung load lbs at only 3.5

the 2Z806 turns at 6.0
torque is 25 in-lbs
overhung load lbs 50

Its almost $50, so I don't want to buy it only to find out that it's not good for this.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would be very concerned about the low overhung weight rating. Try this motor from Monster Guts instead.

Electric Motors for Props - FCG Motor - Halloween Prop Building Supplies For The Home Haunter - Monster Guts

It doesn't list an overhung weight rating, but it looks "beefier" around the output shaft than the 3M096, so I'm assuming it is rated similar to what the 2Z806 was. The way I understand it ...the overhung weight rating is the amount of side load that the output shaft is rated for, which is why I look to see how the motor is constructed around the output shaft.

I used one of these motors to build rig a while back with very good results. In fact, I'm getting ready to order a couple more to build more rigs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be very concerned about the low overhung weight rating. Try this motor from Monster Guts instead.

Electric Motors for Props - FCG Motor - Halloween Prop Building Supplies For The Home Haunter - Monster Guts

It doesn't list an overhung weight rating, but it looks "beefier" around the output shaft than the 3M096, so I'm assuming it is rated similar to what the 2Z806 was. The way I understand it ...the overhung weight rating is the amount of side load that the output shaft is rated for, which is why I look to see how the motor is constructed around the output shaft.

I used one of these motors to build rig a while back with very good results. In fact, I'm getting ready to order a couple more to build more rigs.

Thanks, I'm going to try that one, it's basically the same price and closer to what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts