Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been searching for an inexpensive motor, I found this one what do you think? Also is 6.5 RPM too fast?
Its from http://www.surpluscenter.com/ sorry no direct link to the actual product. $18.95 + SH

6.5 RPM 115 VAC GEARMOTOR 2051746

SPECIFICATIONS
Speed 6.5 RPM
Voltage 115 AC
Amperage 2.65 Amps
Torque 225 in - lbs.
Rotation CW
Duty Intermittent(1 min)
Enclosure Open
Mount Face
Shaft 1/2" diam. x 1-1/4" w/keyway
Size 5-1/4" x 2-3/4" x 4-3/4"
Shpg. 7 lbs.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,671 Posts
IMHO, this isn't the best motor for an FCG. To start with, it's rated for intermittent duty. That means there a good possibility it will overheat after it runs for a while. Second, I think 6.5 rpm is too fast for your FCG. From the videos I've seen, 4-5 rpm looks best, probably closer to 4.

I'd suggest this motor:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G17949

I'm not sure of the exact torque for this motor, but it should work. Worst case scenario, you may have to use a counterweight for the ghost. You'll also need to get a 12 VDC adapter, but those are fairly easy to come by. It says it draws 0.46 amps @ no load, but nothing about draw with a full load. If the power supply doesn't put out enough amps, the motor won't work. You may need to get one rated at least 2 amps, perhaps higher.

And to make attaching the arm a bit easier (and more reliable), you could use a 6mm set-screw hub from here:

http://servocity.com/html/set_screw_hubs.html

If you get the set-screw hub, keep in mind you will also need to order 4 mounting screws to attach the arm to it. just follow the link on the page.

·
black light queen
2,639 Posts
maybe the intermittent duty is for if the motor is running at max torque? if it is running under max load, it should be able to run longer before overheating and burning up.

don't know how much torque a fcg requires, but i don't think it is near 225 in-lbs, but i honestly have no idea, so don't listen to me, lol!

i've already told you more than i know! :D

amk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another thing to think about is noise. I bought a couple cheap motors when I started my animatronics and can't use them because they are louder than most of my haunt sounds.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
The typically recommended (and discontinued) Dayton motor is 6 rpm's. Personally, i think the fcg's using them are a little slow for my tastes. With the intermittent rating and nearly 19 ft.lb. of torque, you could run it on a simple 555 timer circuit, and/or fan cool it for a longer duty cycle. Although, for an fcg...the fan would likely blow the ghost around too, still wouldn't be capable of continuous duty, and therefore wouldn't be suitable imo.

That style of gearmotor is very quiet though, so noise isn't a concern unless the gears are extraordinarily badly machined and have a lot of gear lash. As far as worrying about running a 110 VAC prop & having someone getting electrocuted...you wouldn't have an FCG, or any high torque crank driven prop anywhere near the ToT's reach anyway. To do so, would be an open invite to someone doing something stupid, and you being stuck at the business end of a liability lawsuit. However, just to point out: A small minor shock is of no concern next to getting (a) finger(s) badly pinched and/or severed.

Besides which, every outlet should be on a GFCI protected circuit for safeties sake. If it isn't, get a GFCI pigtail like below, and your worries about electrocution become nearly nil.

^ I have a few of these, and they work very well. :)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of during assembly, when you sometimes do things you shouldn't trying to figure out the best way to get something to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts