Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm getting through building the body of my FCG, the ghost part... so I have a couple of questions.

I'm not using a hook through the skull, but I'm taking an extra hanger and attaching it to the lower bar, thus making him lean forward...that way he's looking down towards the ground. (as I live on the 3rd story of an apartment building I thought it would look cool if he was looking down at them)

So, 1. What's the best way to make sure his head doesn't come off? and 2. as long as the strings are taught that shouldn't be a problem?

Also, what is a good (CHEAP! >30) motor that I could use for this? I only need it for this year and I will upgrade it next year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright, I'm getting through building the body of my FCG, the ghost part... so I have a couple of questions.

I'm not using a hook through the skull, but I'm taking an extra hanger and attaching it to the lower bar, thus making him lean forward...that way he's looking down towards the ground. (as I live on the 3rd story of an apartment building I thought it would look cool if he was looking down at them)

So, 1. What's the best way to make sure his head doesn't come off? and 2. as long as the strings are taught that shouldn't be a problem?

Also, what is a good (CHEAP! >30) motor that I could use for this? I only need it for this year and I will upgrade it next year.

For the motor, you can use a Chauvet mirror ball motor. They can be had on ebay for ~20 bucks after shipping. It should work fine, provided that your body is not too heavy. A foam head, a wire hanger and cheesecloth shouldn't over tax it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks... but, yeah, it's not even a foam head, I just put a hole into a $1 gemmy head from dollar general... and I'll probably just throw a pair of red leds into the eye sockets and a battery pack on the back of the head for effect.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Alright, thanks... but, yeah, it's not even a foam head, I just put a hole into a $1 gemmy head from dollar general... and I'll probably just throw a pair of red leds into the eye sockets and a battery pack on the back of the head for effect.

You could use a wiper motor, they're cheap (any junkyard..ebay...) they'll run on a low voltage wall wart (AC Adapter) and they have a ton of torque.

Wiper Motor Page

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is the exact one I use: Amazon.com: Chauvet 5 rpm Mirror Ball Motor: Musical Instruments

I have been told by others that it doesnt work for them. Im sure weight can be an issue if you go beyond a light weight head, cheese cloth, and wire. Works fine for me!

What you want to do once you get the motor is bring it down to your local hardware store and find a threaded rod that will fit in the little hole where the hook attaches. I got one that was slightly to big for the hole. Not a prob, just took out the drill and carefully bored it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts