Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I really want to make not one, but two FCG's this year. I am doing an inside themed party for the first time this year [haunted hotel] and 2 FCG's in each of my front facing windows will definitely add to the effect pretty well, not to mention I've ALWAYS wanted to build a FCG and never seem to get around to it... well I tried with a demon monster head one year, using a disco ball motor, and quickly found out that that did not have nearly enough torque to turn any kind of crank.

ANYWAY, on to my business at hand...
I know I could spend $50 at monster guts.
Or I could use the old rotisserie motor I have in my stuff,

I actually need 3 or 4 motors... 2 for FCG's, one for a 3D TV, and one to swing a chandelier.

3D TV - Fright WERKS | Do It Yourself Projects | The 3D TV
Chandelier - :DemonWare - Swinging Chandelier:

I have found some good deals on ebay and would like to know if anyone has any ideas weather any of these will work for any of the above applications?

15 RPM 24 VDC SYNCHRONOUS GEARMOTOR Item# 5-1451 - eBay (item 200306352855 end time Sep-02-09 05:09:41 PDT) 15 rpm 24vdc gear motor [i would wire it at 12v dc]

5 RPM 115 VAC INLINE GEARMOTOR /w SWITCH & POWER CORD - eBay (item 380101887590 end time Sep-02-09 05:18:40 PDT) I am not sure about this one, it has a switch built in? i dunno... its 5 rpm but its 115v AC...

6 RPM Gearhead Motor - 12V DC - High Torque - Brand New - eBay (item 330269972136 end time Sep-05-09 14:30:39 PDT) 6 rpm gearhead inline motor... looks promising? only 2 available though...

Compact DC Gearmotor 24 VDC, 4.0 rpm, 50 in-lbs - eBay (item 120454055060 end time Aug-29-09 15:36:45 PDT) this one looks good, but its only 4rpm at 24v dc.

anyway, I hope im on the right track. hopefully someone can help me out and give me an idea on how these might work.

oh, and on a side note, I tried to post in this forum earlier and my post never showed up? I made my first post in the introduction section so... i dont get it.... maybe the mods can figure that one out? Hopefully this one works.

TIA...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am no expert on this subject, but I built an FCG a few years back, so here is my take. The 15 rpm motor is probably going to be too fast for an FCG. 6 rpm seems about right, but you could go a little slower or a little faster. I don’t think there is enough info on the 2nd motor to tell if it would work or not. Same goes for the 3rd motor; it looks a little small. The 4th motor looks as though it has the best chance of moving an FCG, but keep in mind that it is 24 VDC, so you will have to provide a power source other than just a standard wall outlet. I used a Dayton 2Z806. It has more than enough power and was easy to mount. Unfortunately it is no longer available, but the specs might help you out.

Dayton AC Gearmotor, Nameplate Speed 6 Revolutions per Minute, Input Power 1/330 HP, Gear Ratio 495:1, Phase Single, Overhung Load 50 Pounds, Rotation CW, Shaft Orientation Parallel, Starting Torque 21.5 Inch Pounds, Torque 22.5 Inch Pounds, Full Load Current 0.40 Ampere, Enclosure Open, Length Less Shaft 3.60 Inches, Motor Type Shaded Pole, 115 VAC, 60 hz.

You can also check out Phantasmechanics Online for some motor recommendations.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh, I know EVERYONE is suggesting a Dayton, or the one that Monster Guts sells.

The thing is that I need 3 or 4 of these, and I really don't have the funds to buy that many at $43 plus each.

after looking over the ones i posted, the first and third ones are the most interesting. I may just have to look over the return policy and try them out or something.

After looking at the Phantasmechanics website I figured out that they actually list an inline dc motor from all electronics.

I will have to look into that a bit more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts